The Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption, Education Attendance and Living Standards: the Case of Colombia
We assess whether international remittances affect Colombian household’s expenditure composition and demand of education. We exploit the migratory wave and institutional barriers to migration that occurred during the late 1990s, identifying the effect of remittances on expenditure composition. The findings suggest a positive effect on education, with beneficiary households spending about 10 percent more of total expenditure on education than non-beneficiary households. In contrast, no effect was found on enrolment rates. However, the analysis indicates an important effect on the probability of attending a private, rather than a public educational institution. Additionally, this study finds no effects on consumption, investment and health expenditure, although remittances do have salient effects on living standards.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 72 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://economia.udea.edu.co|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Lecturas de Economía, Departamento de Economía, Calle 67, 53-108, Medellin 050010, Colombia.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Borjas & Stephen G. Bronars, 1990.
"Immigration and the Family,"
NBER Working Papers
3509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lina Cardona Sosa & Carlos Medina, 2006.
"Migration as a Safety Net and Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption: The Case of Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003219, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Lina cardona Sosa & Carlos Medina, . "Migration as a Safety Net and Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption: The Case of Colombia," Borradores de Economia 414, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Lucas, Robert E B & Stark, Oded, 1985. "Motivations to Remit: Evidence from Botswana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 901-18, October.
- Adolfo Meisel & Margarita Vega, .
"The Stature of the Colombian Elite Before the Onset of Industrialization, 1870-1919,"
Borradores de Economia
339, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Adolfo Meisel & Margarita Vega, 2005. "The Stature Of The Colombian Elite Before The Onset Of Industrialization, 1870-1919," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003627, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ximena Cadena Ordóñez & Mauricio Cárdenas Santa María, 2004. "Las remesas en Colombia: costos de transacción y lavado de dinero," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 003127, FEDESARROLLO.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lde:journl:y:2010:i:72:p:11-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.