Relationship between Treasury bills and Eurodollars: Theoretical and Empirical Analyses
In this paper, we derive an equilibrium relationship between the yields on Eurodollar and Treasury bills based on equivalent martingale results derived by Harrison and Kreps ( 1979 ) and Harrison and Pliska ( 1981 , 1983 ) as well as the corporate debt pricing model developed by Merton ( 1974 ). The derived equilibrium relationship incorporates the models used by Booth and Tse ( 1995 ) and Shrestha and Welch ( 2001 ) as special cases. The equilibrium relationship indicates that the conditional volatility of the yield on Eurodollars explains the variation in the TED spread. We empirically test the equilibrium relationship using a GARCH-M model and the concept of fractional cointegration. We use both the ex ante data implied by the respective futures contracts as well as the ex post spot data with daily, weekly and monthly frequencies. We find empirical support for the Equilibrium relationship. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/11156/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-1313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Scott MacDonald & Scott E. Hein, 1989. "Futures rates and forward rates as predictors of near‐term treasury bill rates," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 249-262, 06.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "A Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 103-112, January.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1991. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 119, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Fung, Hung-Gay & Isberg, Steven C., 1992. "The international transmission of eurodollar and US interest rates: A cointegration analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 757-769, August.
- G. Geoffrey Booth & Yiuman Tse, 1995. "Long memory in interest rate futures markets: A fractional cointegration analysis," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 573-584, 08.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1990. "The Fractional Unit Root Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 495-505, March.
- Fung, Hung-Gay & Lo, Wai-Chung, 1995. "An Empirical Examination of the Ex Ante International Interest Rate Transmission," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 30(1), pages 175-192, February.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1983. "A stochastic calculus model of continuous trading: Complete markets," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 313-316, August.
- Maria Vassalou & Yuhang Xing, 2004. "Default Risk in Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 831-868, 04. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:rqfnac:v:28:y:2007:i:2:p:163-185. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.