The Internationalization of Money and Finance and the Globalization of Financial Markets
In this paper I combine long multi-country time series data for interest rates and stock returns with the institutional evidence for much earlier centuries amassed by economic historians to study the question of financial globalization and how it has altered since the late classical era. At their longest, for Dutch and English short-term interest rates, the quantitative data that I use extend back slightly more than three centuries. The institutional history provides information on an additional millennium's worth of experience. The conclusion that I reach is that the internationalization of money and finance and the globalization of financial markets are not new phenomena. They are part of an evolutionary process that began much earlier and that has continued, albeit with periodic interruptions and reversals, for many centuries. What we see today is simply the latest and most advanced manifestation of this process.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerald P. Dwyer Jr. & James R. Lothian, 2003.
"International Money and Common Currencies in Historical Perspective,"
- Gerald P. Dwyer & James R. Lothian, 2003. "International Money and Common Currencies in Historical Perspective," CEIS Research Paper 9, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Gerald P. Dwyer & James R. Lothian, 2002. "International money and common currencies in historical perspective," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Johnson, David R, 1993. "International Interest Rate Linkages in the Term Structure," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(4), pages 755-770, November.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Alan M. Taylor, 2002.
"Globalization and Capital Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
8846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johnson, David R., 1992. "International interest rate linkages and the exchange rate regime," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 340-365, August.
- Taylor, Alan M., 2002.
"A century of current account dynamics,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 725-748, November.
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- O Rourke, Kevin H. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2002.
"When did globalisation begin?,"
European Review of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 23-50, April.
- Michael D. Bordo & Barry Eichengreen & Jongwoo Kim, 1998. "Was There Really an Earlier Period of International Financial Integration Comparable to Today?," NBER Working Papers 6738, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2002.
"Europe and the causes of globalization, 1790 to 2000,"
CEG Working Papers
20021, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2002. "Europe and the causes of globalization, 1790 to 2000," Trinity Economics Papers 20021, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Lopez, Robert Sabatino, 1951. "The Dollar of the Middle Ages," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 209-234, June.
- Eagly, Robert V. & Smith, V. Kerry, 1976. "Domestic and International Integration of the London Money Market, 1731–1789," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 198-212, March.
- Grassman, Sven, 1980. "Long-Term Trends in Openness of National Economies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 123-133, March.
- James Lothian & Yusif Simaan, 1998. "International Financial Relations Under the Current Float: Evidence from Panel Data," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 293-313, October.
- George Furstenberg, 1998. "From Worldwide Capital Mobility to International Financial Integration: A Review Essay," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-84, January.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1992. "Measuring International Capital Mobility: A Review," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 197-202, May.
- Lastrapes, W. D., 1998. "International evidence on equity prices, interest rates and money," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 377-406, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0311003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.