Risk Aversion and Tacit Collusion in a Bertrand Duopoly Experiment
We investigate the relationship between collusive behavior in Bertrand oligopoly experiments and subject heterogeneity in risk preferences. We find that risk aversion is positively associated with tacit collusion when the goods are complements, but find no evidence of collusive behavior when the goods are substitutes. Furthermore, risk aversion is associated with lower prices with complement goods, but does not impact pricing behavior with substitute goods. In both treatments, we find that subjects tend to follow the price change of the other seller. In the complements treatment, however, this tendency increases with the degree of risk aversion.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3129878 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Suetens, S., 2009.
"Cooperation in experimental games of strategic complements and substitutes,"
Other publications TiSEM
694e692f-f551-421e-8cf0-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jan Potters & Sigrid Suetens, 2009. "Cooperation in Experimental Games of Strategic Complements and Substitutes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 76(3), pages 1125-1147.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Suetens, S., 2006. "Cooperation in Experimental Games of Strategic Complements and Substitutes," Discussion Paper 2006-48, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Feinberg, Robert M & Husted, Thomas A, 1993. "An Experimental Test of Discount-Rate Effects on Collusive Behaviour in Duopoly Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 153-60, June.
- Banal-Estanol, Albert & Ottaviani, Marco, 2005.
"Mergers with Product Market Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4831, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lisa R. Anderson & Beth A. Freeborn & Charles A. Holt, 2008. "Tacit Collusion in Price-Setting Duopoly Markets: Experimental Evidence," Working Papers 73, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Eric Johnson & Melayne M. McInnes & E. Elisabet Rutström, 2005. "Temporal stability of estimates of risk aversion," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 31-35, January.
- Tibor Neugebauer & Javier Perote & Ulrich Schmidt & Malte Loos, 2007.
"Selfish-biased conditional cooperation: On the decline of contributions in repeated public goods experiments,"
Kiel Working Papers
1376, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Neugebauer, Tibor & Perote, Javier & Schmidt, Ulrich & Loos, Malte, 2009. "Selfish-biased conditional cooperation: On the decline of contributions in repeated public goods experiments," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 52-60, February.
- Tibor Neugebauer & Javier Perote & Ulrich Schmidt & Malte Loos, 2005. "Selfish-biased conditional cooperation: On the decline of contributions in repeated public goods experiments," Experimental 0503009, EconWPA.
- Sabater-Grande, Gerardo & Georgantzis, Nikolaos, 2002. "Accounting for risk aversion in repeated prisoners' dilemma games: an experimental test," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-50, May.
- Asplund, Marcus, 2002.
"Risk-averse firms in oligopoly,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 995-1012, September.
- Asplund, Marcus, 1995. "Risk-Averse Firms in Oligopoly," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 69, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 21 Sep 1999.
- M. Levati & Andrea Morone & Annamaria Fiore, 2009.
"Voluntary contributions with imperfect information: An experimental study,"
Springer, vol. 138(1), pages 199-216, January.
- Annamaria Fiore & M. Vittoria Levati & Andrea Morone, 2006. "Voluntary contributions with imperfect information: An experimental study," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2006-30, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Pablo Brañas Garza & Francisca Jiménez Jiménez & Antonio Morales, 2004. "Strategic Uncertainty and Risk Attitudes:"The Experimental Connection"," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/12, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Mohamed Jellal & François-Charles Wolff, 2005.
"Free Entry under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 85(1), pages 39-63, 07.
- Lisa R. Anderson & Jennifer M. Mellor, 2007.
"Predicting Health Behaviors with an Experimental Measure of Risk Preference,"
59, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Anderson, Lisa R. & Mellor, Jennifer M., 2008. "Predicting health behaviors with an experimental measure of risk preference," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1260-1274, September.
- Sigrid Suetens & Jan Potters, 2007.
"Bertrand colludes more than Cournot,"
Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 71-77, March.
- Suetens, S. & Potters, J.J.M., 2007. "Bertrand colludes more than Cournot," Other publications TiSEM 884b5bf4-2acb-4ce8-b2bf-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- SUETENS, Sigrid & POTTERS, Jan, 2005. "Bertrand colludes more than Cournot," Working Papers 2005037, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Keith H. Coble, 2005. "Risk Perceptions, Risk Preference, and Acceptance of Risky Food," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 393-405.
- Hoffman Elizabeth & McCabe Kevin & Shachat Keith & Smith Vernon, 1994. "Preferences, Property Rights, and Anonymity in Bargaining Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 346-380, November.
- Lisa R. Anderson & Beth A. Freeborn & Charles A. Holt, 2010. "Tacit Collusion in Price-Setting Duopoly Markets: Experimental Evidence with Complements and Substitutes," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 577-591, January.
- Christoph Engel, 2006. "How Much Collusion. A Meta-Analysis On Oligopoly Experiments," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2006_27, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Davis, Douglas, 2011.
"Behavioral convergence properties of Cournot and Bertrand markets: An experimental analysis,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 443-458.
- Douglas D. Davis, 2008. "Behavioral Convergence Properties of Cournot and Bertrand Markets: An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 0808, VCU School of Business, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2011.
- Gary Charness & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2007. "Cooperation, Competition, and Risk Attitudes: An Intergenerational Field and Laboratory Experiment," Post-Print halshs-00175061, HAL.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-302953 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-54, September.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-84, March.
- Charness, Gary & Villeval, Marie Claire, 2007. "Cooperation, Competition, and Risk Attitudes: An Intergenerational Field and Laboratory Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 2574, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Millner, Edward L & Pratt, Michael D, 1991. " Risk Aversion and Rent-Seeking: An Extension and Some Experimental Evidence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 69(1), pages 81-92, February.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200648 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:revind:v:40:y:2012:i:1:p:37-50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.