Entrepreneurship research centers around the world: research orientation, knowledge transfer and performance
This work investigates entrepreneurship research centers, and analyzes their research performance. Studies on the determinants of performance of research centers have mainly focused on science and technology, while entrepreneurship has been so far neglected. Through an analysis of 46 centers worldwide, we focus on entrepreneurship research and the role of centers, by discussing how knowledge transfer mechanisms and research orientation affect research performance. Our findings contribute to shed light on the divergence of methodologies and approaches characterizing entrepreneurship research; they also corroborate the view that centers enable a “compound Matthew-effect”, according to which knowledge transfer to external stakeholders, after controlling for research orientation of the center, does foster and enrich research performance. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gulbrandsen, Magnus & Smeby, Jens-Christian, 2005. "Industry funding and university professors' research performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 932-950, August.
- Audretsch, David B. & Hülsbeck, Marcel & Lehmann, Erik E., 2010.
"Regional competitiveness, university spillovers and entrepreneurial activity,"
UO Working Papers
02-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- David Audretsch & Marcel Hülsbeck & Erik Lehmann, 2012. "Regional competitiveness, university spillovers, and entrepreneurial activity," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 587-601, October.
- Frances Ruane & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007.
"Centres of Research Excellence in Economics in the Republic of Ireland,"
WP180, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Frances P. Ruane & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "Centres of Research Excellence in Economics in the Republic of Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 38(3), pages 289–322.
- Beth Coberly & Denis Gray, 2010. "Cooperative research centers and faculty satisfaction: a multi-level predictive analysis," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 547-565, October.
- Audretsch, David B. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2005. "Does the Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship hold for regions?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1191-1202, October.
- Craig Boardman & Denis Gray, 2010. "The new science and engineering management: cooperative research centers as government policies, industry strategies, and organizations," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 445-459, October.
- Pedro Albarrán & Joan Crespo & Ignacio Ortuño & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2009. "A comparison of the scientific performance of the U. S. and the European Union at the turn of the XXI century," Economics Working Papers we095534, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1991. "Academic research and industrial innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-12, February.
- Benoit, Kenneth & Marsh, Michael, 2009. "A Relative Impact Ranking of Political Studies In Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 40(3), pages 269-298.
- Donald Davis & Janet Bryant, 2010. "Leader-member exchange, trust, and performance in national science foundation industry/university cooperative research centers," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 511-526, October.
- David Roessner & Lynne Manrique & Jongwon Park, 2010. "The economic impact of engineering research centers: preliminary results of a pilot study," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 475-493, October.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max C. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183511.
- Van Looy, Bart & Ranga, Marina & Callaert, Julie & Debackere, Koenraad & Zimmermann, Edwin, 2004. "Combining entrepreneurial and scientific performance in academia: towards a compounded and reciprocal Matthew-effect?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 425-441, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jtecht:v:39:y:2014:i:3:p:376-392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.