Estimating the impact on efficiency of the adoption of a voluntary environmental standard: an empirical study of the global copper mining industry
This paper uses data on the world’s copper mining industry to measure the impact on efficiency of the adoption of the ISO 14001 environmental standard. Anecdotal and case study literature suggests that firms are motivated to adopt this standard so as to achieve greater efficiency through changes in operating procedures and processes. Using plant level panel data from 1992 to 2007 on most of the world’s industrial copper mines, the study uses stochastic frontier methods to investigate the effects of ISO adoption. The variety of models used in this study find that adoption either tends to improve efficiency or has no impact on efficiency, but no evidence is found that ISO adoption decreases efficiency. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/microeconomics/journal/11123/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- KOOP , Gary & OSIEWALSKI , Jacek & STEEL , Mark, 1995.
"Bayesian Efficiency Analysis through Individual Effects : Hospital Cost Frontiers,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 77-105.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M. F. J., . "Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1245, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Arora Seema & Cason Timothy N., 1995. "An Experiment in Voluntary Environmental Regulation: Participation in EPA's 33/50 Program," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 271-286, May.
- Barla, Philippe, 2007.
"ISO 14001 certification and environmental performance in Quebec's pulp and paper industry,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 291-306, May.
- Barla, Philippe, 2005. "ISO 14001 Certification and Environmental Performance in Quebec's Pulp and Paper Industry," Cahiers de recherche 0503, GREEN.
- Barla, Philippe, 2005. "ISO 14001 Certification and Environmental Performance in Quebec's Pulp and Paper Industry," Cahiers de recherche 0503, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Charles J. Corbett & María J. Montes-Sancho & David A. Kirsch, 2005. "The Financial Impact of ISO 9000 Certification in the United States: An Empirical Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(7), pages 1046-1059, July.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F J Steel, 1999.
"A Bayesian analysis of multiple-output production frontier,"
ESE Discussion Papers
21, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Koop, Gary & Steel, Mark, 2000. "A Bayesian analysis of multiple-output production frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 47-79, September.
- Morrow, David & Rondinelli, Dennis, 2002. "Adopting Corporate Environmental Management Systems:: Motivations and Results of ISO 14001 and EMAS Certification," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 159-171, April.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- J Videras & A Alberini, 2000. "The appeal of voluntary environmental programs: which firms participate and why?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(4), pages 449-460, October.
- Anton, W.R.Q.Wilma Rose Q. & Deltas, George & Khanna, Madhu, 2004.
"Incentives for environmental self-regulation and implications for environmental performance,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 632-654, July.
- Anton, Wilma Rose Q. & Deltas, George & Khanna, Madhu, 2002. "Incentives for Environmental Self-Regulation and Implications for Environmental Performance," Working Papers 02-0120, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Boyd, Gale A. & McClelland, John D., 1999. "The Impact of Environmental Constraints on Productivity Improvement in Integrated Paper Plants," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 121-142, September.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Hettige, Hemamala & Wheeler, David, 2000. "What Improves Environmental Compliance? Evidence from Mexican Industry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 39-66, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:39:y:2013:i:1:p:35-45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.