The Influence of Parental Financial Socialization on Youth’s Financial Behavior: Evidence from Ghana
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Clinton Gudmunson & Sharon Danes, 2011. "Family Financial Socialization: Theory and Critical Review," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 644-667, December.
- Webley, Paul & Nyhus, Ellen K., 2013. "Economic socialization, saving and assets in European young adults," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 19-30.
- Norvilitis, Jill M. & MacLean, Michael G., 2010. "The role of parents in college students' financial behaviors and attitudes," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-63, February.
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 2001. "Estimating Wealth Effects Without Expenditure Data—Or Tears: An Application To Educational Enrollments In States Of India," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Ssewamala, Fred M. & Karimli, Leyla & Han, Chang-Keun & Ismayilova, Leyla, 2010. "Social capital, savings, and educational performance of orphaned adolescents in Sub-Saharan Africa," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 1704-1710, December.
- Tzu-Chin Peng & Suzanne Bartholomae & Jonathan Fox & Garrett Cravener, 2007. "The Impact of Personal Finance Education Delivered in High School and College Courses," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 265-284, June.
- Webley, Paul & Nyhus, Ellen K., 2006. "Parents' influence on children's future orientation and saving," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 140-164, February.
- Chen, Haiyang & Volpe, Ronald P., 1998. "An Analysis of Personal Financial Literacy Among College Students," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 107-128.
- Chowa, Gina & Ansong, David & Masa, Rainier, 2010. "Assets and child well-being in developing countries: A research review," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1508-1519, November.
- Michael Gutter & Zeynep Copur, 2011. "Financial Behaviors and Financial Well-Being of College Students: Evidence from a National Survey," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 699-714, December.
- Meyer, Jeff & Masa, Rainier D. & Zimmerman, Jamie M., 2010. "Overview of Child Development Accounts in developing countries," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1561-1569, November.
- Wheeler-Brooks, Jennifer & Scanlon, Edward, 2009. "Perceived facilitators and barriers to saving among low-income youth," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 757-763, October.
- Clinton Gudmunson & Ivan Beutler, 2012. "Relation of Parental Caring to Conspicuous Consumption Attitudes in Adolescents," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 389-399, December.
- Moschis, George P, 1985. "The Role of Family Communication in Consumer Socialization of Children and Adolescents," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 898-913, March.
- Jinhee Kim & Jaslean LaTaillade & Haejeong Kim, 2011. "Family Processes and Adolescents’ Financial Behaviors," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 668-679, December.
- Adam Hancock & Bryce Jorgensen & Melvin Swanson, 2013. "College Students and Credit Card Use: The Role of Parents, Work Experience, Financial Knowledge, and Credit Card Attitudes," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 369-381, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ashley B. LeBaron & E. Jeffrey Hill & Christina M. Rosa & Travis J. Spencer & Loren D. Marks & Joshua T. Powell, 2018. "I Wish: Multigenerational Regrets and Reflections on Teaching Children About Money," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 220-232, June.
- Sigrid Luhr, 2018. "How Social Class Shapes Adolescent Financial Socialization: Understanding Differences in the Transition to Adulthood," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 457-473, September.
- Terri Friedline & Mary Rauktis, 2014. "Young People Are the Front Lines of Financial Inclusion: A Review of 45 Years of Research," Journal of Consumer Affairs, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 535-602, October.
- Sonya L. Britt, 2016. "The Intergenerational Transference of Money Attitudes and Behaviors," Journal of Consumer Affairs, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 539-556, November.
- Bryce L. Jorgensen & Diane Foster & Jakob F. Jensen & Elisabete Vieira, 2017. "Financial Attitudes and Responsible Spending Behavior of Emerging Adults: Does Geographic Location Matter?," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 70-83, March.
- Shiyou Wu & Mathieu R. Despard & Gina Chowa, 2017. "The Role of Parents in Introducing Children to Financial Services: Evidence from Ghana-YouthSave," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 453-462, September.
- Zhu, Alex Yue Feng, 2020. "Impact of school financial education on parental saving socialization in Hong Kong adolescents," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 87(C).
More about this item
KeywordsParental financial socialization; Youth financial capability; Youth financial inclusion; Youth financial education; Parenting;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jfamec:v:35:y:2014:i:3:p:376-389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.