Economic growth, structural change, and search unemployment
Economic growth is driven by structural change. Structural change doer not come without a cost, the most evident social cost being high and persistent unemployment. This paper develops an economy with an endogenously expanding service sector, where the constant flow of workers in and out of employment relation leads to structural unemployment.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pier Saviotti & Andreas Pyka, 2004. "Economic development by the creation of new sectors," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sergio & Xie, Danyang, 2001.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(4), pages 869-82, October.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Saviotti, Pier Paolo & Pyka, Andreas, 2004.
"Economic development, qualitative change and employment creation,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 265-287, September.
- Pier Paolo Saviotti & Andreas Pyka, 2002. "Economic Development, Qualitative Change And Employment Creation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 362, Society for Computational Economics.
- Manfred Stadler & Rüdiger Wapler, 2004.
"Endogenous Skilled-biased Technological Change and Matching Unemployment,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 81(1), pages 1-24, 01.
- Stadler, Manfred & Wapler, Rüdiger, 2001. "Endogenous skilled-biased technological change and matching unemployment," Tübinger Diskussionsbeiträge 220, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1991.
"Growth and Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
577, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daveri, Francesco & Tabellini, Guido, 1997.
"Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, 2000. "Unemployment, growth and taxation in industrial countries," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 47-104, 04.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, . "Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries," Working Papers 122, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Michel, Philippe, 1996.
"Minimum wage unemployment and growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1463-1482, August.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Palokangas, Tapio, 1996. "Endogenous growth and collective bargaining," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 925-944, May.
- Zagler, Martin, 2002. "Services, innovation and the new economy," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 337-355, September.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jeczfn:v:96:y:2009:i:1:p:63-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.