On a Uniform Turnpike of the Third Kind in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan Model
On using McKenzie’s taxonomy of optimal accumulation in the longrun, we report a 'uniform turnpike' theorem of the third kind in a model original to Robinson, Solow and Srinivasan (RSS), and further studied by Stiglitz. Our results are presented in the undiscounted, discrete-time setting emphasized in the recent work of Khan-Mitra, and they rely on the importance of strictly concave felicity functions, or alternatively, on the value of a 'marginal rate of transformation', ξσ, from one period to the next not being unity. Our results, despite their specificity, contribute to the methodology of intertemporal optimization theory, as developed in economics by Ramsey, von Neumann and their followers.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul A. Samuelson & Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Complete Capital Model Involving Heterogeneous Capital Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(4), pages 537-562.
- Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1963. "On the Concept of Optimal Economic Growth," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 163, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- David Cass, 1964. "Optimum Economic Growth in an Aggregative Model of Capital Accumulation: A Turnpike Theorem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 178, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 1998. "Vintage Capital and Inequality," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(2), pages 497-530, April.
- W. A. Brock, 1970. "On Existence of Weakly Maximal Programmes in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 275-280.
- M. Ali Khan & Tapan Mitra, 2005.
"On choice of technique in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan model,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 1(2), pages 83-110.
- Ali Khan, M., 2003. "On choice of technique in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan model," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 504, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Khan, M. Ali & Mitra, Tapan, 2004. "On Choice of Technique in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan Model," Working Papers 04-13, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- McKenzie, Lionel W., 2005. "Optimal economic growth, turnpike theorems and comparative dynamics," Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 2, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1281-1355 Elsevier.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1994. "A note on a new class of solutions to dynamic programming problems arising in economic growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 807-813.
- Lionel W. McKenzie, 2012. "turnpike theory," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- McKenzie, Lionel W, 1976. "Turnpike Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 841-865, September.
- M. Ali Khan & Tapan Mitra, 2007. "Optimal Growth In A Two-Sector Rss Model Without Discounting: A Geometric Investigation," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 58(2), pages 191-225.
- Tapan Mitra, 2005. "Characterization of the turnpike property of optimal paths in the aggregative model of intertemporal allocation," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 1(4), pages 247-275.
- Mitra, Tapan, 2002. "A Characterization of the Turnpike Property of Optimal Paths in the Aggregative Model of Intertemporal Allocation," Working Papers 02-17, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Simon Gilchrist & John C. Williams, 2000. "Putty-Clay and Investment: A Business Cycle Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 928-960, October.
- Simon Gilchrist & John C. Williams, 1998. "Putty-clay and investment: a business cycle analysis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Simon Gilchrist & John C. Williams, 1998. "Putty-Clay and Investment: A Business Cycle Analysis," NBER Working Papers 6812, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lionel W. McKenzie, 2005. "Classical General Equilibrium Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633302, July.
- Chari, V V & Hopenhayn, Hugo, 1991. "Vintage Human Capital, Growth, and the Diffusion of New Technology," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1142-1165, December.
- Mitra, Tapan & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1981. "On Optimal Economic Growth with Changing Technology and Tastes: Characterization and Stability Results," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 221-238, February.
- Lionel McKenzie, 1999. "Equilibrium, Trade, and Capital Accumulation," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 50(4), pages 371-397, December.
- Mitra, Tapan, 1979. "On Optimal Economic Growth with Variable Discount Rates: Existence and Stability Results," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(1), pages 133-145, February.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1970. "Growth Patterns in a Dual Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 229-234, July.
- Solow, Robert M., 2005. "Reflections on Growth Theory," Handbook of Economic Growth,in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 0, pages 3-10 Elsevier. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jeczfn:v:92:y:2007:i:2:p:137-166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.