Undiscounted optimal growth with consumable capital and capital-intensive consumption goods
This paper presents a complete characterization of the optimal policy in a two sector undiscounted growth model. The model is an extension of the Leontief two sector model, which analyzes the optimal allocation of capital and labor to a consumption good sector and an investment good sector. The paper extends this framework to include consumable capital. Thus, the planner has preferences over the consumption good and the consumable capital. Future welfare levels are treated equally as current ones. Geometric techniques are applied to characterize the optimal policy if the consumption good is capital-intensive. The results suggest that if the initial capital stock is below a threshold level, that depends upon the consumption of capital, there is no convergence to the golden rule stock. Otherwise, an economy with a low level of capital produces only investment goods and an economy with a high level of capital produces only consumption goods. Depending on the value of the marginal rate of transformation of capital between today and tomorrow, the transition dynamics of middle range countries emerge: a country can take an infinite sequence of monotonic adjustment to the golden rule stock and attains a full utilization of factors each period, or an optimal program exhibits an infinite sequence of nonmonotonic fluctuations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 65 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul A. Samuelson & Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Complete Capital Model Involving Heterogeneous Capital Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(4), pages 537-562.
- David Gale, 1967. "On Optimal Development in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(1), pages 1-18.
- Khalifa, Sherif, 2011. "Undiscounted optimal growth with consumable capital and labor-intensive consumption goods," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1673-1682, July.
- Minako Fujio, 2005. "The Leontief Two-sector Model and Undiscounted Optimal Growth with Irreversible Investment: The Case of Labor-intensive Consumption Goods," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 86(2), pages 145-159, November.
- W. A. Brock, 1970. "On Existence of Weakly Maximal Programmes in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 275-280.
- Carl Christian von Weizäscker, 1965. "Existence of Optimal Programs of Accumulation for an Infinite Time Horizon," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 85-104.
- Hiroshi Atsumi, 1965. "Neoclassical Growth and the Efficient Program of Capital Accumulation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 127-136.
- M. Ali Khan & Tapan Mitra, 2007. "Optimal Growth In A Two-Sector Rss Model Without Discounting: A Geometric Investigation," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 58(2), pages 191-225.
- Fujio, Minako, 2008. "Undiscounted optimal growth in a Leontief two-sector model with circulating capital: The case of a capital-intensive consumption good," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 420-436, May.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Yano, Makoto, 1995. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos in Optimal Growth: An Example," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 981-1001, July.
- Minako Fujio, 2009. "Optimal Transition Dynamics In The Leontief Two-Sector Growth Model With Durable Capital: The Case Of Capital Intensive Consumption Goods," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 490-511.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:65:y:2013:i:2:p:118-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.