The Effect of Off-farm Work on the Intensity of Agricultural Production
Changes in agricultural production methods have been associated with environmental pressure and a loss of natural habitats. This paper explores the extent to which farmer participation in off-farm work (an increasing phenomenon in most developed countries) changes the intensity of agricultural input use focusing, in particular, on fertilizer and crop protection product use. A sample selection model that accounts for both unobserved heterogeneity between farms and the potential simultaneity between farm operations and hours worked off-farm is estimated for 2,419 farms in England and Wales. The econometric evidence indicates that the input intensity of products which have well-established links to environmental damage can increase as well as decrease. The results suggest that that fertilizer intensity may decline as off-farm labor increases while the use of crop protection per hectare increases as off-farm work increases. Copyright Springer 2006
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1993.
"Evidence on the role of cash flow for investment,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
93-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gilchrist, S. & Himmelberg, C.P., 1995. "Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment," Papers 95-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1995. "Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment," Working Papers 95-01, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- P. Dupraz & D. Vermersch & B. De Frahan & L. Delvaux, 2003.
"The Environmental Supply of Farm Households: A Flexible Willingness to Accept Model,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 171-189, June.
- Dupraz & Vermersch & Henry de Fraham & Delvaux, 2003. "The environmental supply of farm households : a flexible willingness to accept model," Working Papers 155614, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Madior Fall & Thierry Magnac, 2004.
"How Valuable Is On-Farm Work to Farmers?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 267-281.
- Madior Fall & Thierry Magnac, 2002. "How Valuable is On-Farm Work to Farmers ?," Working Papers 2002-35, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Madior Fall & Thierry Magnac, 2002. "How valuable is on-farm work to farmers?," Research Unit Working Papers 0204, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J. & Johnson, James D. & Hopkins, Jeffrey W., 2002. "Income, Wealth, And The Economic Well-Being Of Farm Households," Agricultural Economics Reports 33967, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell & C. Richard Shumway & V. Eldon Ball, 1999. "Input Demands and Inefficiency in U.S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 865-880.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Vella, F. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1999. "Two-step estimation of panel data models with censored endogenous variables and selection bias," Other publications TiSEM 5aad87bc-25d1-49bc-882b-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Lopez, Ramon E., 1984. "Estimating labor supply and production decisions of self-employed farm producers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 61-82.
- Vella, Francis & Verbeek, Marno, 1999. "Two-step estimation of panel data models with censored endogenous variables and selection bias," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 239-263, June.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-80344 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huffman, Wallace E., 1991. "Agricultural Household Models: Survey and Critique," Staff General Research Papers 11008, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- JunJie Wu & Bruce A. Babcock & P. G. Lakshminarayan, 1996.
"Choice of Tillage, Rotation, and Soil Testing Practices: Economic and Environmental Implications, The,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
96-wp161, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Wu, JunJie & Babcock, Bruce A., 1998. "Choice of Tillage, Rotation, and Soil Testing Practices: Economic and Environmental Implications (The)," Staff General Research Papers 979, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Li, Jiayi, 2005. "The Impacts of Adopting Genetically Engineered Crops in the USA: The Case of Bt Corn," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19318, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Joseph C. Cooper & Russ W. Keim, 1996.
"Incentive Payments to Encourage Farmer Adoption of Water Quality Protection Practices,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 54-64.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Keim, Russ, 1996. "Incentive payments to encourage farmer adoption of water quality protection practices," MPRA Paper 24779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2004. "Farming Efficiency and the Determinants of Multiple Job Holding by Farm Operators," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 722-729.
- Joyce Willock & Ian J. Deary & Gareth Edwards-Jones & Gavin J. Gibson & Murray J. McGregor & Alistair Sutherland & J. Barry Dent & Oliver Morgan & Robert Grieve, 1999. "The Role of Attitudes and Objectives in Farmer Decision Making: Business and Environmentally-Oriented Behaviour in Scotland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 286-303.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:34:y:2006:i:4:p:493-515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.