The Replacement Value of Wetlands in Sweden
Wetlands, in Sweden and elsewhere, have been suggestedas effective and low-cost sinks for agriculturalpollution. This paper estimates the value of usingwetlands for abatement of agricultural nitrogen loadon the Baltic Sea. A replacement value of wetlands isestimated for Sweden. The replacement value is definedand estimated as the difference between twocost-effective reductions of agricultural nitrogenpollution: one that uses wetlands for nitrogenabatement, and one that does not. It is shown that theuse of wetlands as nitrogen sinks can reduce the totalabatement costs of nitrogen emissions by 30% forSwedish agricultural sources of nitrogen pollution. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kosz, Michael, 1996. "Valuing riverside wetlands: the case of the "Donau-Auen" national park," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 109-127, February.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, September.
- Robert N. Stavins, 2007.
NBER Working Papers
13574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gren, Ing-Marie, 1995. "The Value of Investing in Wetlands for Nitrogen Abatement," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 157-72.
- John C. Bergstrom & John R. Stoll, 1993. "Value Estimator Models for Wetlands-Based Recreational Use Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(2), pages 132-137.
- Stavins, Robert N., 1990. "Alternative renewable resource strategies: A simulation of optimal use," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 143-159, September.
- Gren, Ing-Marie, 1993. "Alternative nitrogen reduction policies in the Malar region, Sweden," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 159-172, April.
- Ralph E. Heimlich, 1994. "Costs of an Agricultural Wetland Reserve," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 234-246.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:16:y:2000:i:4:p:347-362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.