Wetlands and Agriculture: Private Interests and Public Benefits
Society has recently increased the value it places on the services that wetlands provide, including water quality improvements, flood control, wildlife habitat, and recreation. However, owners of wetlands are often unable to profit from these services because the benefits created are freely enjoyed by many. This report examines differences between public and private incentives regarding wetlands. Federal wetland policy has shifted in recent decades--from encouraging wetland conversion to encouraging wetland protection and restoration--in an effort to balance public and private objectives. The report assesses the need for continued wetlands protection policies as the United States approaches achieving the goal of no net loss of wetlands.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800|
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C L Lant & R S Roberts, 1990. "Greenbelts in the Cornbelt: Riparian Wetlands, Intrinsic Values, and Market Failure," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 22(10), pages 1375-1388, October.
- Gren, Ing-Marie, 1995. "The Value of Investing in Wetlands for Nitrogen Abatement," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 157-72.
- Randall A. Kramer & Leonard Shabman, 1993. "The Effects of Agricultural and Tax Policy Reform on the Economic Return to Wetland Drainage in the Mississippi Delta Region," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(3), pages 249-262.
- Ing-Marie Gren & Carl Folke & Kerry Turner & Ian Batemen, 1994. "Primary and secondary values of wetland ecosystems," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Innes, Robert, 1995. "An Essay on Takings: Concepts and Issues," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 10(1).
- Stavins, Robert N., 1990. "Alternative renewable resource strategies: A simulation of optimal use," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 143-159, September.
- Ralph E. Heimlich, 1994. "Costs of an Agricultural Wetland Reserve," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 234-246.
- Kosz, Michael, 1996. "Valuing riverside wetlands: the case of the "Donau-Auen" national park," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 109-127, February.
- Langford, Ian H. & Bateman, Ian J., 1996.
"Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 265-267, December.
- Bateman, Ian J. & Langford, Ian H. & Turner, R. Kerry & Willis, Ken G. & Garrod, Guy D., 1995. "Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-179, February.
- Lichtenberg, Erik & Zilberman, David, 1986. "The Welfare Economics of Price Supports in U.S. Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1135-41, December.
- Bergstrom, John C. & Stoll, John R. & Titre, John P. & Wright, Vernon L., 1990. "Economic value of wetlands-based recreation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 129-147, June.
- W.E. Phillips & T.J. Haney & W.L. Adamowicz, 1993. "An Economic Analysis of Wildlife Habitat Preservation in Alberta," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 41(4), pages 411-418, December.
- Whitehead, John C., 1992. "Measuring Use Value From Recreation Participation," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- John S. Baen & Jaime Alvayay, 1990. "The Implications of Federal Wetland Protection Programs for the Real Estate Appraisal Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(1), pages 153-166.
- Hanley, Nick & Craig, Stephen, 1991.
"Wilderness development decisions and the Krutilla-Fisher model: The case of Scotland's 'flow country',"
Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 145-164, November.
- Nick Hanley & Stephen Craig, 1991. "Wilderness Development Decisions and the Krutilla-Fisher Model: The Case of Scotland's 'Flow Country'," Working Papers Series 91/11, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Edward B. Barbier, 1994. "Valuing Environmental Functions: Tropical Wetlands," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 155-173.
- van Vuuren, W. & Roy, P., 1993. "Private and social returns from wetland preservation versus those from wetland conversion to agriculture," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 289-305, December.
- Spreen, Thomas H., 2006. "Price Endogenous Mathematical Programming Models and Trade Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(02), August.
- Doss, Cheryl R. & Taff, Steven J., 1996. "The Influence Of Wetland Type And Wetland Proximity On Residential Property Values," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Danielson, Leon E. & Leitch, Jay A., 1986. "Private vs public economics of prairie wetland allocation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 81-92, March.
- Kohn, Robert E., 1994. "Alternative property rights to wetland externalities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-68, May.
- Farber, Stephen, 1987. "The value of coastal wetlands for protection of property against hurricane wind damage," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 143-151, June.
- Holtman, Charles & Taff, Steven J. & Meyer, Aaron J. & Leitch, Jay A., 1996. "An Inquiry Into The Relationship Of Wetland Regulations And Property Values In Minnesota," Staff Papers 13816, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Stephen Farber, 1996. "Welfare Loss Of Wetlands Disintegration: A Louisiana Study," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(1), pages 92-106, 01.
- Doss, Cheryl R. & Taff, Steven J., 1993. "The Relationship Of Property Values And Wetlands Proximity In Ramsey County, Minnesota," Economic Reports 13086, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uerser:34043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.