Norwegian Overnight Interbank Interest Rates
This article addresses the lack of reliable information about overnight interest rates in the Norwegian interbank market. We infer actual interest rates from interbank transactions recorded in the real-time gross settlement (RTGS) system of Norges Bank over the period October 2006–November 2010. We propose a new measure of overnight interest rates, NONIA, which may be calculated daily as a value-weighted average of overnight interest rates on individual loans. This may supplement information provided by indicative interest rates such as NIBOR. We also compute an indicator based on dispersion of interest rates across individual loans and the spread between NONIA and the key policy rate. The indicator may be useful for assessing whether overnight interest rates are close to Norges Bank’s key policy rate, consistent with its liquidity policy objective. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2013
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100248|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Furfine, Craig H, 2001. "Banks as Monitors of Other Banks: Evidence from the Overnight Federal Funds Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 33-57, January.
- Bech, Morten L. & Atalay, Enghin, 2010.
"The topology of the federal funds market,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 389(22), pages 5223-5246.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Dagfinn Rime & Lucio Sarno, 2008.
"Does the law of one price hold in international financial markets? Evidence from tick data,"
2008/19, Norges Bank.
- Akram, Q. Farooq & Rime, Dagfinn & Sarno, Lucio, 2009. "Does the law of one price hold in international financial markets? Evidence from tick data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1741-1754, October.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Casper Christophersen, 2010. "Interbank overnight interest rates - gains from systemic importance," Working Paper 2010/11, Norges Bank.
- Niall Coffey & Warren B. Hrung & Asani Sarkar, 2009. "Capital constraints, counterparty risk, and deviations from covered interest rate parity," Staff Reports 393, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Interbank lending and systemic risk,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2008," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 64 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:11-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.