The Exogamic Nature of Sino-Foreign Joint Ventures
The paper suggests that Sino-foreign joint ventures areexogamicpartnerships. Three hypotheses were formulated: (1) partners pool differentiated sets of idiosyncratic and non-substitutable resources into their joint ventures; (2) they establish cooperation to gain access to resources provided by their counterparts; (3) the younger the partnership, the less the partners contribute with idiosyncratic resources. A questionnaire investigation was conducted into 67 Sino-foreign joint ventures. The test for H1 clearly demonstrated that each partner pools very different resources into the joint venture. H2 was also clearly supported by the data collected. However, H3 was weakly supported. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Volume (Year): 22 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106589
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kotabe, Masaaki & Teegen, Hildy & Aulakh, Preet S. & Coutinho de Arruda, Maria Cecilia & Santillán-Salgado, Roberto J. & Greene, Walter, 2000. "Strategic alliances in emerging Latin America: a view from Brazilian, Chilean, and Mexican companies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 114-132, July.
- Liu, Hong & Pak, Kelvin, 1999. "How important is marketing in China today to Sino-foreign joint ventures?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 546-554, October.
- Deng, Ping, 2001. "WFOEs: the most popular entry mode into China," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 63-72.
- Bruun, Peter & Bennett, David, 2002. "Transfer of Technology to China: : A Scandinavian and European Perspective," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 98-106, February.
- Child, John & Yan, Yanni, 1999. "Investment and control in international joint ventures: the case of China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-15, April.
- Lu, Yadong, 1998. "Joint venture success in China: How should we select a good partner?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 145-166, July.
- De Meyer, Arnoud, 2001. "Technology transfer into China:: Preparing for a new era," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 140-144, April.
- Osland, Gregory & Björkman, Ingmar, 1998. "MNC-host government interaction:: Government pressures on MNCS in China," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 91-100, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:asiapa:v:22:y:2005:i:3:p:285-306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.