Longevity of strategic alliances between competitors: A dynamic value creation approach
Strategic alliances (SAs) present both a high value creation potential as well as entailing high management costs. Research on SA duration has generally focused on factors that affect management costs. The underlying logic in these papers is that factors that increase management costs reduce the likelihood of SA survival and, therefore, SA longevity. The basic assumption is that these factors do not affect the rent-generating potential of the SA. However, we argue that certain factors that increase management costs also increase the rent-generating potential. In particular, this is the case in SAs between competitors. This view complements that of SAs between competitors as learning races. The purpose of the present paper is to shed light on the question of how the fact that the partners in a SA are competitors affects the SA's chances of survival and its longevity.
|Date of creation:||03 Nov 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seung Ho Park & Michael V. Russo, 1996. "When Competition Eclipses Cooperation: An Event History Analysis of Joint Venture Failure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(6), pages 875-890, June.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Harry G Barkema & Freek Vermeulen, 1997. "What Differences in the Cultural Backgrounds of Partners Are Detrimental for International Joint Ventures?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(4), pages 845-864, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:iesewp:d-0404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noelia Romero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.