Pension fund taxation and risk-taking: should we switch from the EET to the TEE regime?
Most countries tax retirement savings according to the EET (exempt contributions, exempt accumulations, taxable withdrawals) regime. Relevant literature recommends the use of TEE (taxable contributions, exempt accumulations, exempt withdrawals) or EET systems and emphasizes their near equivalence. We show that this near equivalence breaks down when considering the tax effects on risk-taking. This paper proves that the TEE regime is risk-taking neutral, while the EET regime does not, in general, respect this property. The argument of risk-taking neutrality thus calls for broadening the use of the TEE configuration. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hubbard, Robert Glenn, 1985. "Personal Taxation, Pension Wealth, and Portfolio Composition," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 53-60, February.
- Zhou, Jie, 2009. "The asset location puzzle: Taxes matter," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 955-969, April.
- Basak, Suleyman, 2002. "A comparative study of portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1217-1241, July.
- Katarzyna Romaniuk, 2007. "The optimal assetÂ allocation of the main types of pension funds: a unified framework," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 113-128, December.
- Peter Diamond, 2009.
"Taxes and Pensions,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 2-15, July.
- Peter Diamond, 2009. "Taxes and Pensions," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2009-12, Center for Retirement Research, revised May 2009.
- Peter A. Diamond, 2009. "Taxes and Pensions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2636, CESifo Group Munich.
- Garlappi, Lorenzo & Huang, Jennifer, 2006. "Are stocks desirable in tax-deferred accounts?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(12), pages 2257-2283, December.
- Eric M. Engen & William G. Gale & John Karl Scholz, 1996. "The Illusory Effects of Saving Incentives on Saving," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 113-138, Fall.
- Bergstresser, Daniel & Poterba, James, 2004.
"Asset allocation and asset location: household evidence from the survey of consumer finances,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1893-1915, August.
- Daniel Bergstresser & James Poterba, 2002. "Asset Allocation and Asset Location: Household Evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances," NBER Working Papers 9268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua D. Rauh, 2009. "Risk Shifting versus Risk Management: Investment Policy in Corporate Pension Plans," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(7), pages 2487-2533, July.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides & Valery Polkovnichenko, 2009.
"Optimal Savings with Taxable and Tax-Deferred Accounts,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(4), pages 718-735, October.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides & Valery Polkovnichenko, 2009. "Code and data files for "Optimal Savings with Taxable and Tax-deferred Accounts"," Computer Codes 07-198, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Gene Amromin, 2003. "Household Portfolio Choices in Taxable and Tax-Deferred Accounts: Another Puzzle?," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 547-582.
- David Robalino, 2005.
"Pensions in the Middle East and North Africa: Time for Change,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 7427.
- Robalino, David & Whitehouse, Edward & Mataoanu, Anca & Musalem, Alberto & Sherwood, Elisabeth & Sluchynsky, Oleksiy, 2005. "Pensions in the Middle East and North Africa: time for change," MPRA Paper 10448, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jennifer Huang, 2008. "Taxable and Tax-Deferred Investing: A Tax-Arbitrage Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(5), pages 2173-2207, September.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:121:y:2006:i:1:p:157-195 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katarzyna Romaniuk, 2007. "The optimal asset allocation of the main types of pension funds: a unified framework," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 113-128, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1976. "Personal Taxation and Portfolio Composition: An Econometric Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 631-50, July.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:83:y:1969:i:2:p:263-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gur Huberman & Sheena Iyengar & Wei Jiang, 2007. "Defined Contribution Pension Plans: Determinants of Participation and Contributions Rates," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 1-32, February.
- Agell, Jonas & Edin, Per-Anders, 1990. " Marginal Taxes and the Asset Portfolios of Swedish Households," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 47-64.
- Irwin Tepper, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Pension Policy," NBER Working Papers 0661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tepper, Irwin, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Pension Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Mary Margaret Frank, 2002. "The Impact of Taxes on Corporate Defined Benefit Plan Asset Allocation," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 1163-1190, 09.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Victor DeMiguel & Raman Uppal, 2005. "Portfolio Investment with the Exact Tax Basis via Nonlinear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(2), pages 277-290, February.
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 1996. "How Retirement Saving Programs Increase Saving," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 91-112, Fall.
- repec:spr:compst:v:71:y:2010:i:1:p:181-199 is not listed on IDEAS
- Constantinides, George M, 1983. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Personal Tax," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 611-36, May.
- King, Mervyn A. & Leape, Jonathan I., 1998. "Wealth and portfolio composition: Theory and evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 155-193, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:annfin:v:9:y:2013:i:4:p:573-588. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.