Capital income taxation and risk-taking in a small open economy
How do capital income taxes affect household portfolio choice and growth? We" approach this question within the context of a stochastic model of a small open economy in" which taxes on income from domestic capital (equity) and foreign bonds affect household" portfolio choice, welfare and the growth rate of the economy. The theoretical and numerical" analysis demonstrates the important role that risk plays in determining the mean and variability" of growth as well as the conditions under which a higher tax rate can be welfare improving. To" shed more light on the complex theoretical interaction between taxes and risk-taking we estimate" a reduced-form multinomial probit model of household portfolio choice using the method of" simulated moments. The empirical evidence is in stark contrast to the conventional wisdom " we find that higher taxes make it less likely that the household will hold risky assets."
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Søren Bo Nielsen & Peter Birch Sørensen, 1989.
"Capital Income Taxation in a Growing Open Economy,"
89-14, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Partha Sen & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1990.
"Investment Tax Credit in an Open Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
3298, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sen, P. & Turnovsky, S.J., 1990. "Investment Tax Credit In An Open Economy," Working Papers 90-09, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Sen, P. & Turnovsky, S.J., 1990. "Investment Tax Credit In An Open Economy," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 90-09, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E, 1990. "A Convex Model of Equilibrium Growth: Theory and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1008-38, October.
- Agell, Jonas & Edin, Per-Anders, 1990. " Marginal Taxes and the Asset Portfolios of Swedish Households," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 47-64.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1986. "Capital income taxation in growing open economies," Other publications TiSEM d92d32f6-df9f-418b-bbd3-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1990.
"Tax Harmonization and Tax Competition in Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
3248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969. "The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk-Taking," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 263-83, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1990. "International capital mobility and capital-income taxation : Theory and policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 480-488, May.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1976. "Personal Taxation and Portfolio Composition: An Econometric Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 631-50, July.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991.
"International Taxation in an Integrated World,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512149, June.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1989. "Differential taxation and the encouragement of risk-taking," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-59.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Bianconi, Marcelo, 1992.
"The International Transmission of Tax Policies in a Dynamic World Economy,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 49-72, November.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Marcelo Bianconi, 1992. "The International Transmission of Tax Policies in a Dynamic World Economy," NBER Working Papers 4086, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1981. "Fiscal Policy, Inflation and the Accumulation of Risky Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 435-45, July.
- Uhler, R S & Cragg, John G, 1971. "The Structure of the Asset Portfolios of Households," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(115), pages 341-57, July.
- Sibert, Anne, 1990. "Taxing capital in a large, open economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 297-317, April.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1993. "Macroeconomic Policies, Growth, and Welfare in a Stochastic Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(4), pages 953-81, November.
- Daniel McFadden, 1987.
"A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models Without Numerical Integration,"
464, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1989. "A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models without Numerical Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 995-1026, September.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-57, August.
- Hubbard, Robert Glenn, 1985. "Personal Taxation, Pension Wealth, and Portfolio Composition," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 53-60, February.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Asea, Patrick, 1997.
"On the ineffectiveness of tax policy in altering long-run growth: Harberger's superneutrality conjecture,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 99-126, October.
- Asea, Patrick & Mendoza, Enrique G & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 1996. "On the Ineffectiveness of Tax Policy in Altering Long- Run Growth: Harberger's Superneutrality Conjecture," CEPR Discussion Papers 1378, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel McFadden, 1990. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models with an Application to External Debt Crisis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 967, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sergio Rebelo, 1999.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2114, David K. Levine.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152946 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bovenberg, A. Lans, 1986. "Capital income taxation in growing open economies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 347-376, December.
- Keane, Michael P, 1994. "A Computationally Practical Simulation Estimator for Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 95-116, January.
- Grinols, Earl L. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1994. "Exchange rate determination and asset prices in a stochastic small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 75-97, February.
- Levine, Ross, 1991. " Stock Markets, Growth, and Tax Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1445-65, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:68:y:1998:i:1:p:55-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.