The tax treatment of funded pensions
This report makes an international comparison of the tax treatment of funded pensions and finds that the expenditure-tax system is the best way of taxing pensions because it does not distort the decision whether to consume now or save and consume in the future, unlike the comprehensive income tax; rather it taxes pensions once: either when contributions are made or when benefits are withdrawn. Moreover, it is easy to administer and the tax burden does not vary arbitrarily with inflation. The report also finds that in the context of the design and implementation of a pension reform, it is important to take the cost of tax relief, measured by tax expenditures, into account. The report is structured as follows: Section 1 considers a number of different ways to tax pensions. Section 2 describes the tax treatment of pensions in a range of countries. Section 3 extends the analysis to compute a summary measure of the generosity of tax incentives. Section 4 considers the link between the taxation of pension funds and the tax treatment of the underlying assets in which they invest. Section 5 examines the deductibility of contributions. Sections 6 and 7 look at the importance of pension funds and associated tax incentives in the aggregate. Section 8 assesses the objectives for taxing pensions, the options, and the arguments while section 9 concludes.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/spl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Disney & Edward Whitehouse, 1994. "What are pension plan entitlements worth in Britain?," IFS Working Papers W94/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Andrew Dilnot & Paul Johnson, 1993. "Tax expenditures: the case of occupational pensions," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Richard Disney & Edward Whitehouse, 1994. "Choice of private pension plan and pension benefits in the UK," IFS Working Papers W94/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- David M. Knox, 1990. "The taxation support of occupational pensions: a long-term view," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 29-43, November.
- Daniel Feenberg & Jonathan Skinner, 1989.
"Sources of IRA Saving,"
NBER Working Papers
2845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jane G. Gravelle, 1991. "Do Individual Retirement Accounts Increase Savings?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 133-148, Spring.
- Richard Disney & Edward Whitehouse, 1992. "Personal pensions and the review of the contracting-out terms," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 38-53, February.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H, 1987. "Taxation, Savings, and Portfolio Choice in a Continuous Time Model," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 42(2), pages 264-82.
- Mark H. Robson, 1995. "Taxation and household saving: reflections on the OECD report," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 16(1), pages 38-57, February.
- Davis, E. Philip, 1998. "Pension Funds: Retirement-Income Security and Capital Markets: An International Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293040, December.
- Gora, Marek & Rutkowski, Michal, 1998.
"The quest for pension reform : Poland's security through diversity,"
Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes
20111, The World Bank.
- Marek Gora & Michael Rutkowski, 2000. "The Quest for Pension Reform: Poland's Security though Diversity," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 286, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chris Heady, 1993. "Optimal taxation as a guide to tax policy: a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 15-41, February.
- Carroll, Chris & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987.
"Why have private savings rates in the United States and Canada diverged?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-279, September.
- Chris Carroll & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Why Have Private Saving Rates in the United States and Canada Diverged?," NBER Working Papers 2319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 1993.
" Optimal Saving, Interest Rates, and Endogenous Growth,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 517-33, December.
- Gylfason, T., 1993. "Optimal Saving, Interest Rates and Endogenous Growth," Papers 539, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Munnell, Alicia H, 1976. "Private Pensions and Saving: New Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1013-32, October.
- Robin Boadway & David Wildasin, 1994. "Taxation and savings: a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 19-63, August.
- Disney, Richard & Whitehouse, Edward, 1992. "The personal pensions stampede," MPRA Paper 10476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dilnot, Andrew & Disney, Richard & Johnson, Paul & Whitehouse, Edward, 1994. "Pensions policy in the UK: An economic analysis," MPRA Paper 10478, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Scott, M. FG., 1987. "A note on king and fullerton's formulae to estimate the taxation of income from capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 253-264, November.
- Hamilton, Bob & Whalley, John, 1985. "Tax treatment of housing in a dynamic sequenced general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 157-175, July.
- Diamond, P. A., 1977. "A framework for social security analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 275-298, December.
- Rachel Griffith, 1996. "A note on the taxation of capital income in the Czech Republic and Poland," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 17(3), pages 91-103, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:hdnspu:20126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.