Neural Network Hedonic Pricing Models in Mass Real Estate Appraisal
Using a large sample of 46,467 residential properties spanning 1999-2005, we demonstrate using matched pairs that, relative to linear hedonic pricing models, artificial neural networks (ANN) generate significantly lower dollar pricing errors, have greater pricing precision out-of-sample, and extrapolate better from more volatile pricing environments. While a single layer ANN is functionally equivalent to OLS, multiple layered ANNs are capable of modeling complex nonlinearities. Moreover, because parameter estimation in ANN does not depend on the rank of the regressor matrix, ANN is better suited to hedonic models that typically utilize large numbers of dummy variables.
Volume (Year): 31 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiller, R.J. & Weiss, A.N., 1999.
"Evaluating Real Estate Valuation Systems,"
983r, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Elaine M. Worzala & Margarita Lenk & Ana Silva, 1995. "An Exploration of Neural Networks and Its Application to Real Estate Valuation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(2), pages 185-202.
- Grether, D. M. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1974.
"Determinants of real estate values,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 127-145, April.
- Carlo Bagnoli & Halbert C. Smith, 1998. "The Theory of Fuzzy Logic and its Application to Real Estate Valuation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(2), pages 169-200.
- A. Quang Do & G. Grudnitski, 1993. "A Neural Network Analysis of the Effect of Age on Housing Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 253-264.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:31:n:2:2009:p:147-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.