Comparing Rough Set Theory with Multiple Regression Analysis as Automated Valuation Methodologies
This paper focuses on the problem of applying rough set theory to mass appraisal. This methodology was first introduced by a Polish mathematician, and has been applied recently as an automated valuation methodology by the author. The method allows the appraiser to estimate a property without defining econometric modeling, although it does not give any quantitative estimation of marginal prices. In a previous paper by the author, data were organized into classes prior to the valuation process, allowing for the if-then, or right “rule” for each property class to be defined. In that work, the relationship between property and class of valued was said to be dichotomic.
Volume (Year): 10 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William S. Breffle & Edward R. Morey & Tymon S. Lodder, 1998. "Using Contingent Valuation to Estimate a Neighbourhood's Willingness to Pay to Preserve Undeveloped Urban Land," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 35(4), pages 715-727, April.
- Pace, R Kelley & Barry, Ronald & Clapp, John M. & Rodriquez, Mauricio, 1998. "Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 15-33, July.
- Gerald R. Brown & George A. Matysiak & Mark Shepherd, 1998. "Valuation uncertainty and the Mallinson Report," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Michael J. Ball, 1973. "Recent Empirical Work on the Determinants of Relative House Prices," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 10(2), pages 213-233, June.
- Clapp, John M & Rodriguez, Mauricio, 1999. "Erratum: Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 1-85, July.
- Pawlak, Zdzislaw, 1997. "Rough set approach to knowledge-based decision support," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 48-57, May.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Peter F. Colwell & Roger E. Cannaday & Chunchi Wu, 1983. "The Analytical Foundations of Adjustment Grid Methods," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 11-29.
- George H. Lentz & Ko Wang, 1998. "Residential Appraisal and the Lending Process: A Survey of Issues," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(1), pages 11-40.
- Han-Bin Kang & Alan K. Reichert, 1991. "An Empirical Analysis of Hedonic Regression and Grid-Adjustment Techniques in Real Estate Appraisal," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 70-91.
- Martin Hoesli & Bernard Thion & Craig Watkins, 1997. "A hedonic investigation of the rental value of apartments in central Bordeaux," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 15-26, January.
- Mok, Henry M K & Chan, Patrick P K & Cho, Yiu-sun, 1995. "A Hedonic Price Model for Private Properties in Hong Kong," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 37-48, January.
- Dominique Fischer, 2003. "Multi-criteria analysis of ranking preferences on residential traits," ERES eres2003_154, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Hoesli, Martin & Giaccotto, Carmelo & Favarger, Philippe, 1997. "Three New Real Estate Price Indices for Geneva, Switzerland," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 93-109, July.
- Elaine M. Worzala & Margarita Lenk & Ana Silva, 1995. "An Exploration of Neural Networks and Its Application to Real Estate Valuation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(2), pages 185-202.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:010:n:02:2007:p:42-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.