Predicting Housing Value: A Comparison of Multiple Regression Analysis and Artificial Neural Networks
This paper compares the predictive performance of artificial neural networks (ANN) and multiple regression analysis (MRA) for single family housing sales. Multiple comparisons are made between the two data models in which the data sample size is varied, the funcional specifications is varied, and the temporal prediction is varied. We conclude that ANN performs better than MRA when a moderate to large data sample size is used. For our application, this "moderate to large data sample size" varied from 13% to 39% of the total data sample (506 to 1506 observations out of 3906 total observations). Our results give a plausible explanation why previous papers have obtained varied results when comparing MRA and ANN predictive performance for housing values.
Volume (Year): 22 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halvorsen, Robert & Pollakowski, Henry O., 1981. "Choice of functional form for hedonic price equations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49, July.
- Grether, D. M. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1974.
"Determinants of real estate values,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 127-145, April.
- A. Quang Do & G. Grudnitski, 1993. "A Neural Network Analysis of the Effect of Age on Housing Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 253-264.
- Linneman, Peter, 1980. "Some empirical results on the nature of the hedonic price function for the urban housing market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 47-68, July.
- Goodman, Allen C., 1978. "Hedonic prices, price indices and housing markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 471-484, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:22:n:3:2001:p:313-336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.