Corporate Real Estate Management in the Retail Sector: Investigation of Current Strategy and Structure
Retail organizations are often cited as being at the forefront of corporate real estate management. This research found that the retail sector is characterized by diversity both in terms of the degree to which organizations are vertically integrated and in terms of the range of modes of retailing they engage in. This in turn led to diverse real estate portfolios. However, regardless of this diversity, the over riding strategy was focused on supporting the core activity. This study provides a snapshot of current practice however it also uncovers the need for a greater understanding of the diversity in practice.
Volume (Year): 22 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kerry D. Vandell & Charles C. Carter, 1992. "Retail Store Location and Market Analysis: A Review of the Research," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 92-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, December.
- Stephen E. Roulac, 1994. "Retail Real Estate in the 21st Century: Information Technology + Time Consciousness + Unintelligent Stores = Intelligent Shopping? NOT!," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 125-150.
- Hugh O. Nourse & Stephen E. Roulac & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "Linking Real Estate Decisions to Corporate Strategy," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 475-494.
- Martha A. Oâ€™Mara, 1999. "Strategic Drivers of Location Decisions for Information-Age Companies," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(3), pages 365-386.
- John D. Benjamin, 1994. "The Changing Retail Real Estate Marketplace: An Introduction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 1-4.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:22:n:1/2:2001:p:107-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.