Corporate Real Estate Management in the Retail Sector: Investigation of Current Strategy and Structure
Retail organizations are often cited as being at the forefront of corporate real estate management. This research found that the retail sector is characterized by diversity both in terms of the degree to which organizations are vertically integrated and in terms of the range of modes of retailing they engage in. This in turn led to diverse real estate portfolios. However, regardless of this diversity, the over riding strategy was focused on supporting the core activity. This study provides a snapshot of current practice however it also uncovers the need for a greater understanding of the diversity in practice.
Volume (Year): 22 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/Email:
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John D. Benjamin, 1994. "The Changing Retail Real Estate Marketplace: An Introduction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 1-4.
- Hugh O. Nourse & Stephen E. Roulac & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "Linking Real Estate Decisions to Corporate Strategy," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 475-494.
- Martha A. Oâ€™Mara, 1999. "Strategic Drivers of Location Decisions for Information-Age Companies," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(3), pages 365-386.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, June.
- Kerry D. Vandell & Charles C. Carter, 1992. "Retail Store Location and Market Analysis: A Review of the Research," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 92-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Stephen E. Roulac, 1994. "Retail Real Estate in the 21st Century: Information Technology + Time Consciousness + Unintelligent Stores = Intelligent Shopping? NOT!," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 125-150.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:22:n:1/2:2001:p:107-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.