The Nature of the Firm – Static versus Developmental Interpretations
Different from the prevailing staticperspective in the theory of the firm, adevelopmental approach focuses on processes ofchange in firm organizations (rather than onstates and their properties). Although businesshistory provides ample evidence for systematicorganizational change, few contributions in theliterature take a developmental viewpoint andoffer explanations for the endogenous processesof change. To contrast static and developmentalinterpretations, the paper identifies threeparadigmatic questions for each of them. Theircomparison sheds some new light on the theoryof the firm and draws attention to theneglected entrepreneurial role inorganizational change. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1992. "Organizational Capabilities and the Economic History of the Industrial Enterprise," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 79-100, Summer.
- Ulrich Witt (ed.), 1993. "Evolutionary Economics," Books, Edward Elgar, number 595, March.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, June.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Nelson, Richard R, 1994. "An Introduction to Evolutionary Theories in Economics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 153-72, September.
- Mueller, Dennis C, 1972. "A Life Cycle Theory of the Firm," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 199-219, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jmgtgv:v:5:y:2001:i:3:p:331-351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.