Assessing Risk for International Real Estate Investments
Overseas real estate investment has increased considerably in recent years. The assessment of risk for these investments, especially for real estate, has thus become very important. This study assesses the performance of real estate, stocks and bonds in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand over the period 1985-93. The results indicate that the degree of appraisal-smoothing and intertemporal correlation in each of the five international real estate series is significant, resulting in the need to increase the real estate risk estimates by 34% to 47%. To account for currency risk over this nine-year period, currency-adjusted returns and risk were also estimated for investors from each of these five countries. All risk profiles increased significantly for international investors when adjusting for currency risk. However, additional portfolio diversification was achieved using real estate for international investors.
Volume (Year): 11 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Ross, Stephen A & Zisler, Randall C, 1991. "Risk and Return in Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 175-90, June.
- Paul K. Asabere & Robert Kleiman & Carl McGowan, 1991. "The Risk-Return Attributes of International Real Estate Equities," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(2), pages 143-152.
- David Geltner, 1989. "Estimating Real Estate's Systematic Risk from Aggregate Level Appraisal-Based Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 463-481.
- David J. Hartzell & James R. Webb, 1988. "Real Estate Risk and Return Expectations: Recent Survey Results," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(3), pages 31-37.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:11:n:2:1996:p:103-116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.