What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?
We use constrained cross-section regressions to disentangle the effects of various factors on international real estate security returns. Besides a common factor, pure country, property type, size, and value/growth factors are considered. The value/growth measure that is used in this paper provides for each security the relative importance of the value and growth components, rather than a binary classification. The value/growth factor is found to be volatile and to have a substantial effect on returns over the analyzed period February 1990-April 2003. Country factors are the dominant factors, and size is shown to have a negative impact on returns. Statistical factors derived by means of cluster analysis explain about one third of specific returns on international real estate securities. The implication for portfolio managers is that failing to recognize the importance of the various factors leads to the portfolio being exposed to systematic risk.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 40 bd. du Pont d'Arve, Case postale 3, CH - 1211 Geneva 4|
Phone: 41 22 / 312 09 61
Fax: 41 22 / 312 10 26
Web page: http://www.swissfinanceinstitute.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Stevenson, 2000. "International Real Estate Diversification: Empirical Tests using Hedged Indices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(1), pages 105-131.
- Alan J. Ziobrowski & Brigitte J. Ziobrowski & Sidney Rosenberg, 1997. "Currency Swaps and International Real Estate Investment," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 223-251.
- Terence Khoo & David Hartzell & Martin Hoesli, 1993. "An Investigation of the Change in Real Estate Investment Trust Betas," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 107-130.
- Heston, Steven L. & Rouwenhorst, K. Geert, 1994. "Does industrial structure explain the benefits of international diversification?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-27, August.
- Youguo Liang & Arjun Chatrath & Willard McIntosh, 1996. "Apartment REITs and Apartment Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(3), pages 277-290.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Ling, David C & Naranjo, Andy, 2002. "Commercial Real Estate Return Performance: A Cross-Country Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1-2), pages 119-42, Jan.-Marc.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Crocker Liu & Jianping Mei, 1996.
"The Predictability of International Real Estate Markets, Exchange Rate Risks and Diversification Consequences,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
96-33, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Crocker H. Liu & Jianping Mei, 1998. "The Predictability of International Real Estate Markets, Exchange Rate Risks and Diversification Consequences," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 3-39.
- Piet Eichholtz & Ronald Huisman & Kees Koedijk & Lisa Schuin, 1998. "Continental Factors in International Real Estate Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 493-509.
- Graeme Newell & James R. Webb, 1996. "Assessing Risk for International Real Estate Investments," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 103-116.
- Piet M.A. Eichholtz, 1996. "The Stability of the Covariances of International Property Share Returns," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 149-158.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fam:rpseri:rp50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.