Common Stochastic Volatility in International Real Estate Market
This study examined the real estate markets of Europe, North America, and Asia using daily continental real estate indices. It applied a multivariate stochastic volatility model to analyze the behavior of volatility trends in these markets. The results showed comovements in volatilities, especially between Europe and North America, as indicated by high degrees of correlation of their respective stochastic trend components. However, the impact of this common trend varies in these markets, especially for the early period of the sample. For the later period of the sample, the derived volatility trend indicated volatility convergence among them. It might imply that the role of emerging market such as Asia in diversifying real estate investment risk was not as significant as showed in early studies and is diminishing overtime.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew W. Lo & Jiang Wang, 1994.
"Implementing Option Pricing Models When Asset Returns Are Predictable,"
NBER Working Papers
4720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W & Wang, Jiang, 1995. " Implementing Option Pricing Models When Asset Returns Are Predictable," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 87-129, March.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & Wang, Jiang, 1959-, 1993. "Implementing option pricing models when asset returns are predictable," Working papers 3593-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gerlach, Richard & Wilson, Patrick & Zurbruegg, Ralf, 2006.
"Structural breaks and diversification: The impact of the 1997 Asian financial crisis on the integration of Asia-Pacific real estate markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 974-991, October.
- Pat Wilson & Ralf Zurbruegg & Richard Gerlach, 2002. "Structural Breaks and Diversification: The Impact of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis on the Integration of Asia-Pacific Real Estate Markets," Working Paper Series 121, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Patrick McAllister & Colin Lizieri, 2006. "Monetary Integration and Real Estate Markets: The Impact of Euro on European Real Estate Equities," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(4), pages 281-303, August.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Crocker H. Liu & Jianping Mei, 1998.
"The Predictability of International Real Estate Markets, Exchange Rate Risks and Diversification Consequences,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 3-39.
- Crocker Liu & Jianping Mei, 1996. "The Predictability of International Real Estate Markets, Exchange Rate Risks and Diversification Consequences," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-33, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Piet Eichholtz & Ronald Huisman & Kees Koedijk & Lisa Schuin, 1998. "Continental Factors in International Real Estate Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 493-509.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1999.
"The Long-Run Evolutions of Energy Prices,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-27.
- Paul K. Asabere & Robert Kleiman & Carl McGowan, 1991. "The Risk-Return Attributes of International Real Estate Equities," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(2), pages 143-152.
- David McMillan, 2001. "Common stochastic volatility trend in European exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(9), pages 605-608.
- Ling, David C & Naranjo, Andy, 2002. "Commercial Real Estate Return Performance: A Cross-Country Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1-2), pages 119-42, Jan.-Marc.
- Colin Lizieri & Patrick McAllister & Charles Ward, 2003. "Continental Shift? An Analysis of Convergence Trends in European Real Estate Equities," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 25(1), pages 1-22.
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989. "The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lif:jrgelg:v:3:y:2014:p:131-139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Faisal Ameer Khan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.