The Relative Effect of Property Type and Country Factors in Reduction of Risk of Internationally Diversified Real Estate Portfolios
We examine and test the merits of diversifying portfolios of real estate securities internationally and across property types. Our analysis covers the period January 1990 through July 2005. Using data from the Global Property Research GPR 250 Property Securities Index, which has monthly prices for five property type indexes in 21 countries, we decompose country and property type sources of variation in real estate security returns. We find that property type effects are smaller than country effects. Property type specialization explains only 6% of the variance of national real estate securities index returns. Because property type effects are so small, country diversification is a more effective tool for achieving risk reduction than property type diversification. In addition, we find evidence that the relative importance of country effects is decreasing while that of industry effects is increasing. However, country effects continue to dominate property type effects. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Volume (Year): 34 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11146/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foort Hamelink & Martin Hoesli, 2002.
"What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?,"
eres2002_196, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Foort Hamelink & Martin Hoesli, 2004. "What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 437-462, 09.
- Foort HAMELINK & Martin HOESLI, 2003. "What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?," FAME Research Paper Series rp50, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Hamelink, Foort & Hoesli, Martin, 2002. "What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?," SIFR Research Report Series 7, Institute for Financial Research.
- Kennedy, Peter, 1986. "Interpreting Dummy Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 174-175, February.
- Hamelink, F. & Hoesli, M., 2002. "What factors determine real estate security returns?," Serie Research Memoranda 0017, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Griffin, John M. & Andrew Karolyi, G., 1998.
"Another look at the role of the industrial structure of markets for international diversification strategies,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 351-373, December.
- John M. Griffin & G. Andrew Karolyi, "undated". "Another Look at the Role of the Industrial Structure of Markets for International Diversification Strategies," Research in Financial Economics 9608, Ohio State University.
- Mike Miles & Tom Mc Cue, 1982. "Historic Returns and Institutional Real Estate Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 184-199.
- Mike Miles & Tom McCue, 1984. "Commercial Real Estate Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 355-377.
- Hwahsin Cheng & John L. Glascock, 2006. "Stock Market Linkages Before and After the Asian Financial Crisis: Evidence from Three Greater China Economic Area Stock Markets and the US," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(02), pages 297-315.
- Heston, Steven L. & Rouwenhorst, K. Geert, 1994. "Does industrial structure explain the benefits of international diversification?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-27, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:34:y:2007:i:3:p:369-384. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.