The unsung impact of currency risk on the performance of international real property investment
The paper revisits the currency risk debate to ascertain the statistical significance of currency risk on the return of international real property investment, especially in a period of increased exchange rate volatility. After statistical analyses of the returns of a portfolio of office investments in seven Asia Pacific cities over the 1986 to 2007 period, it was found that currency risk had a statistically significant positive impact on the performance of the portfolio of office investments. This is confirmed by the results of stochastic dominance test. If the results of this study are verified by subsequent studies, and the past reliably presages the future, they would imply that investors holding portfolios of real property investments in the sample markets might not need to be unduly concerned with currency risk.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Porter, R. Burr & Wart, James R. & Ferguson, Donald L., 1973. "Efficient Algorithms for Conducting Stochastic Dominance Tests on Large Numbers of Portfolios," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 71-81, January.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Whitmore, G A, 1970. "Third-Degree Stochastic Dominance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 457-59, June.
- Alan J. Ziobrowski & Brigitte J. Ziobrowski, 1993. "Hedging Foreign Investments in U.S. Real Estate with Currency Options," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 27-54.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1993. "Currency Hedging over Long Horizons," NBER Working Papers 4355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N.Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K.Geert Rouwenhorst, 2003.
"Long-Term Global Market Correlations,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
98, Netherlands Central Bank.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," NBER Working Papers 8612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm237, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2008.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Ripley, Duncan M, 1973. "Systematic Elements in the Linkage of National Stock Market Indices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(3), pages 356-61, August.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2001. "Stochastic Dominance Efficiency Tests under Diversification," Finance 0105001, EconWPA.
- Graeme Newell & James R. Webb, 1996. "Assessing Risk for International Real Estate Investments," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 103-116.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Haim Levy, 1992. "Stochastic Dominance and Expected Utility: Survey and Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 555-593, April.
- G. Hanoch & H. Levy, 1969. "The Efficiency Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 335-346.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Alan J. Ziobrowski & Richard Curcio, 1991. "Diversification Benefits of U.S. Real Estate to Foreign Investors," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(2), pages 119-142.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:revfin:v:18:y:2009:i:1:p:56-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.