Regional Consumer Price Differences Within Germany Information Demand, Data Supply and the Role of the Consumer Price Index
Every month the Consumer Price Index for Germany (CPI) provides comprehensive and detailed information regarding the price development over time. However, when differences in the price level across regions in Germany have to be analysed at a given point in time, sufficient information is not available at present. Interest in regional consumer price data is shown by both scientists and policy makers. Currently, this information demand is not met as regional consumer prices or regional price comparisons are not provided by the Federal Statistical Office in Germany. Data available from the German Consumer Price Index is suitable to follow the price development over time but cannot be used directly to compare price levels of different regions because the goods tracked may be different from region to region. The article first considers the information demand and gives an overview of existing price data. Its main part refers to an empirical study which was conducted to check if existing Consumer Price Index data can be used to calculate regional consumer price comparisons by ex-post selecting comparable products.
Volume (Year): 230 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Uwe Blien & Hermann Gartner & Heiko Stüber & Katja Wolf, 2009. "Regional price levels and the agglomeration wage differential in western Germany," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 71-88, March.
- Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 2003.
"Regional Specialization, Urban Hierarchy, and Commuting Costs,"
CIRJE-F-223, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-François Thisse, 2006. "Regional Specialization, Urban Hierarchy, And Commuting Costs," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1295-1317, November.
- TABUCHI, Takatoshi & THISSE, Jacques-François, 2003. "Regional specialization, urban hierarchy, and commuting costs," CORE Discussion Papers 2003060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- TABUCHI, Takahoshi & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Regional specialization, urban hierarchy, and commuting costs," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1967, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michael W.M. Roos, 2003.
"Regional price levels in Germany,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p511, European Regional Science Association.
- Christian Dreger & Reinhold Kosfeld, 2010. "Do Regional Price Levels Converge?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(3), pages 274-286, June.
- Jens Südekum, 2009. "Regional costs-of-living with congestion and amenity differences: an economic geography perspective," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 49-69, March.
- Jan Goebel & Joachim R. Frick & Markus M. Grabka, 2009. "Preisunterschiede mildern EinkommensgefÃ¤lle zwischen West und Ost," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 76(51/52), pages 888-894.
- Krugman, Paul, 1998. "What's New about the New Economic Geography?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 7-17, Summer.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Matthias Türck, 2008. "New economic geography and regional price level," Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 43-60, February.
- Robert A. Pollak, 1998. "The Consumer Price Index: A Research Agenda and Three Proposals," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 69-78, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:230:y:2010:i:6:p:814-831. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.