Equity Market Liberalization, Industry Growth And The Cost Of Capital
This paper examines whether equity market liberalization facilitates economic growth at the industry level. It also explores whether equity market liberalization reduces the cost of capital by scrutinizing a particular mechanism: that liberalization reduces the wedge between the costs of external and internal capital to firms. Using industry-level data on 19 emerging markets and 18 developed countries for the period between 1980-2000, we find a uniform increase in the growth rate of real value added across industries following liberalization in emerging markets. Industries highly dependent on external finance grow faster in liberalized regimes. No additional growth effects are found for industries dependent more on equity finance in emerging markets.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2002.
"Risk Sharing and Asset Prices: Evidence From a Natural Experiment,"
NBER Working Papers
8988, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2004. "Risk Sharing and Asset Prices: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1295-1324, 06.
- Chari, Anusha & Henry, Peter B., 2002. "Risk Sharing and Asset Prices: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Research Papers 1736r, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Nandini Gupta & Kathy Yuan, 2003. "Financial Dependence, Stock Market Liberalizations, and Growth," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-562, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2001.
"Emerging equity markets and economic development,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 465-504, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:35:y:2010:i:3:p:103-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.