Financial Deepening and Monetary Growth with Endogenous Liquidity Constraints
This paper sets up a monetary growth model with an endogenous liquidity constraint on consumption, and uses it to analyze the economy's long-run response to money growth. We find that a rise in the rate of money growth will increase the consumer's financial deepening, thereby leading to a reduction in the liquidity constraint on consumption and a rise in the consumption-capital ratio. With such an adjustment, the representative household can borrow more and raise its consumption. As a consequence, a rise in the rate of money growth will deter the savings rate and the economic growth rate.
Volume (Year): 9 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.jem.org.tw/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marquis, Milton H. & Reffett, Kevin L., 1991. "Real interest rates and endogenous growth in a monetary economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 105-109, October.
- Chang, Wen-ya & Hsieh, Yi-ni & Lai, Ching-chong, 2000. "Social status, inflation, and endogenous growth in a cash-in-advance economy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 535-545, September.
- Gomme, Paul, 1993.
"Money and growth revisited : Measuring the costs of inflation in an endogenous growth model,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 51-77, August.
- Paul Gomme, 1991. "Money and growth revisited," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 55, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gomme, P., 1993. "Money and Growth Revisited : Measuring the Costs of Inflation in an Endogenous Growth Model," Discussion Papers dp93-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Vaidyanathan, Geetha, 1993. "Consumption, liquidity constraints and economic development," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 591-610.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr & Stokey, Nancy L, 1987. "Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 491-513, May.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984. "Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy," Discussion Papers 628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1985. "Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," NBER Working Papers 1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mino, Kazuo, 1997. "Long-Run Effects of Monetary Expansion in a Two-Sector Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-655, October.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Futagami, Koichi & Morita, Yuichi & Shibata, Akihisa, 1993. " Dynamic Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model with Public Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 607-625, December.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1984. "Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Models: A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Examples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 665-680, May.
- Buiter, W, 1982. "Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Models : A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Examples," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 200, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1984. "Saddlepoint Problems in Contifuous Time Rational Expectations Models: A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Ehamples," NBER Technical Working Papers 0020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miles, David, 1992. "Housing markets, consumption and financial liberalisation in the major economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1093-1127, June.
- Palivos, Theodore & Wang, Ping & Zhang, Jianbo, 1993. "Velocity of money in a modified cash-in-advance economy: Theory and evidence," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 225-248. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jec:journl:v:9:y:2013:i:1:p:1-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.