Monetary policy and endogenous market structure in a Schumpeterian economy
In this note, we develop a monetary Schumpeterian growth model to explore the effects of monetary policy on endogenous market structure, economic growth and social welfare. We find that an increase in the nominal interest rate reduces the equilibrium number of firms. Although long-run economic growth is independent of the nominal interest rate due to a scale-invariant property of the model, a higher nominal interest rate leads to lower growth rates of innovation, output and consumption during the transition path. Taking into account transition dynamics, we find that social welfare is decreasing in the nominal interest rate; therefore, Friedman rule is socially optimal in this economy.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joonkyung Ha & Peter Howitt, 2007. "Accounting for Trends in Productivity and R&D: A Schumpeterian Critique of Semi-Endogenous Growth Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 733-774, 06.
- Yip, C.K. & Wang, P., 1989.
"Alternative Approaches To Money And Growth,"
8-89-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Christopher Laincz & Pietro Peretto, 2006. "Scale effects in endogenous growth theory: an error of aggregation not specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 263-288, September.
- Angus C. Chu & Guido Cozzi, 2014.
"R&D And Economic Growth In A Cash‐In‐Advance Economy,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 507-524, 05.
- Chu, Angus C. & Cozzi, Guido, 2012. "R&D and economic growth in a cash-in-advance economy," MPRA Paper 39778, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chu, Angus C. & Cozzi, Guido, 2013. "R&D and Economic Growth in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economics Working Paper Series 1308, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Fisher, Mark E & Seater, John J, 1993. "Long-Run Neutrality and Superneutrality in an ARIMA Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 402-15, June.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1996.
"Alternative monies and the demand for media of exchange,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 942-964.
- Santomero, Anthony M & Seater, John J, 1996. "Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 942-60, November.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1995. "Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Pietro F. Peretto, 2005.
"Corporata Taxes, Growth and Welfare in a Schumpeterian Economy,"
2005 Meeting Papers
653, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 2007. "Corporate taxes, growth and welfare in a Schumpeterian economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 353-382, November.
- Federico Etro, 2012. "Endogenous Market Structures and Welfare," Working Papers 2012_12, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Marquis, M.H. & Reffett, K., 1992.
"New Technology Spillovers into the Payment System,"
1992_04_2, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Funk Peter & Kromen Bettina, 2010.
"Inflation and Innovation-Driven Growth,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-52, August.
- Peretto, Pietro F, 1996.
"Sunk Costs, Market Structure, and Growth,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 895-923, November.
- Peretto, Pietro F, 1998.
" Technological Change and Population Growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 283-311, December.
- Max Gillman & Michal Kejak, 2005. "Contrasting Models of the Effect of Inflation on Growth," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 113-136, 02.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin & Frederic S. Mishkin & Jonas D. M. Fisher, 1997.
"The optimum quantity of money: theory and evidence,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 687-724.
- Mulligan, Casey B & Sala-I-Martin, Xavier X, 1997. "The Optimum Quantity of Money: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 687-715, November.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1997. "The optimum quantity of money: Theory and evidence," Economics Working Papers 229, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin, 1997. "The Optimum Quantity of Money: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angus C. Chu & Ching-Chong Lai & Chih-Hsing Liao, 2010.
"A Tale of Two Growth Engines: The Interactive Effects of Monetary Policy and Intellectual Property Rights,"
IEAS Working Paper : academic research
10-A006, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Chu, Angus C. & Lai, Ching-Chong & Liao, Chih-Hsing, 2010. "A tale of two growth engines: The interactive effects of monetary policy and intellectual property rights," MPRA Paper 30105, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2011.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1999. "Cost reduction, entry, and the interdependence of market structure and economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 173-195, February.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Alwyn Young, 1998. "Growth without Scale Effects," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(1), pages 41-63, February.
- Stefan Niemann & Michael Evers & Marc Schiffbauer, 2007. "Inflation, Investment Composition and Total Factor Productivity," Economics Discussion Papers 632, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Charles I. Jones, 1999.
"Growth: With or Without Scale Effects?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 139-144, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40467. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.