A bivariate count data model for household tourism demand
Households' choice of the number of leisure trips and the total number of overnight stays is empirically studied using Swedish tourism data. A bivariate hurdle approach separating the participation (to travel and stay the night or not) from the quantity (the number of trips and nights) decision is employed. The quantity decision is modelled with a bivariate mixed Poisson lognormal model allowing for both positive as well as negative correlation between count variables. The observed endogenous variables are drawn from a truncated density and estimation is pursued by simulated maximum likelihood. The estimation results indicate a negative correlation between the number of trips and nights. In most cases own price effects are as expected negative, while estimates of cross-price effects vary between samples. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaw, Daigee, 1988. "On-site samples' regression : Problems of non-negative integers, truncation, and endogenous stratification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 211-223, February.
- Douglas M. Larson, 1993. "Joint Recreation Choices and Implied Values of Time," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(3), pages 270-286.
- Matthew D. Berman & Hong Jin Kim, 1999. "Endogenous On-Site Time in the Recreation Demand Model," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(4), pages 603-619.
- Francisco Covas & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2000. "A modified hurdle model for completed fertility," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 173-188.
- Berman, Matthew D. & Kim, Hong Jin, 1999. "Endogenous On-Site Time In The Recreation Demand Model," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21616, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1989.
"A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models without Numerical Integration,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 995-1026, September.
- Daniel McFadden, 1987. "A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models Without Numerical Integration," Working papers 464, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Caudill, Steven B & Mixon, Franklin G, Jr, 1995. "Modeling Household Fertility Decisions: Estimation and Testing of Censored Regression Models for Count Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 183-96.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:21:y:2006:i:2:p:213-226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.