The Economic Value of Viewing Migratory Shorebirds on the Delaware Bay: An Application of the Single Site Travel Cost Model Using On-Site Data
Using data from an on-site survey of recreational birders in southern Delaware during the annual horseshoe crab/shorebird spring migration, we estimated four truncated count data models of recreation demand accounting for endogenous stratification due to onsite sampling. We analyzed day-trips only and conducted sensitivity analysis on measurement of the value of time and inclusion of covariates. Our estimates from the models using all covariates were in the range of $40 to $178/trip/household (2008$). The variation is due to differences in the value of time. The average household size is 1.66.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Purnell Hall, Newark, Delaware 19716|
Phone: (302) 831-2565
Fax: (302) 831-6968
Web page: http://lerner.udel.edu/departments/economics/department-economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaw, Daigee, 1988. "On-site samples' regression : Problems of non-negative integers, truncation, and endogenous stratification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 211-223, February.
- Englin, Jeffrey & Shonkwiler, J S, 1995. "Estimating Social Welfare Using Count Data Models: An Application to Long-Run Recreation Demand under Conditions of Endogenous Stratification and Truncation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 104-12, February.
- Dixie Reaves & Randall Kramer & Thomas Holmes, 1999. "Does Question Format Matter? Valuing an Endangered Species," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(3), pages 365-383, October.
- Myers, Kelley H. & Parsons, George R. & Edwards, Peter E.T., 2010. "Measuring the recreational use value of migratory shorebirds on the Delaware Bay," MPRA Paper 26126, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark L. Rockel & Mary Jo Kealy, 1991. "The Value of Nonconsumptive Wildlife Recreation in the United States," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(4), pages 422-434.
- Hellerstein, Daniel & Mendelsohn, Robert, 1993.
"A Theoretical Foundation for Count Data Models,"
25265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph Hilbe & Roberto Martinez-Espineira, 2005. "NBSTRAT: Stata module to estimate Negative Binomial with Endogenous Stratification," Statistical Software Components S456414, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hellerstein, Daniel, 1991.
"Using Count Data Models in Travel Cost Analysis with Aggregate Data,"
25264, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel M. Hellerstein, 1991. "Using Count Data Models in Travel Cost Analysis with Aggregate Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(3), pages 860-866.
- John R. McKean & Donn M. Johnson & Richard G. Walsh, 1995. "Valuing Time in Travel Cost Demand Analysis: An Empirical Investigation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(1), pages 96-105.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dlw:wpaper:11-03.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Saul Hoffman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.