Museum visitors can be regarded as specific cultural tourists? A length of stay analysis
This paper examines the length of stay of cultural tourists in a mountain destination, on the North-East of Italy. A microeconomic perspective of cultural tourism is provided, where the interest is to analyse the attitude of visitors regarding culture and their overall vacation. To this aim, visitors’ behavior to the South Tyrol s Museum of Archaeology in Bolzano (Italy) is analysed through survey data. Unlike similar studies, empirically, a zero-truncated negative binomial model is estimated as a generalization of a Poisson distribution. The analysis shows which are the main determinants that influence length of stay of cultural tourists. Nationality, age, employment, income, costs associated with the travel have an impact on length of stay. Specifically, variations in such factors correspond to variation in the span of the vacation that is also positively affected by the presence of the icemen Ötzi in the museum as well as by the presence of other cultural attractions. These findings provide an essential tool to manage heritage resources and plan the future tourism development around the Ötzi museum.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Giorgio 12, I-09124 Cagliari|
Web page: http://www.crenos.unica.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Hellerstein, Daniel & Mendelsohn, Robert, 1993.
"A Theoretical Foundation for Count Data Models,"
25265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angel BUJOSA BESTARD & Jaume ROSSELLÓ NADAL, 2007. "Attitudes Toward Tourism And Tourism Congestion," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 25, pages 193-207.
- Jörgen Hellström, 2006. "A bivariate count data model for household tourism demand," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 213-226.
- V. Kerry Smith, 1988. "Selection and Recreation Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(1), pages 29-36.
- Beatriz Plaza, 2006. "The Return on Investment of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 452-467, 06.
- Beatriz Plaza, 2008. "On Some Challenges and Conditions for the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to be an Effective Economic Re-activator," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 506-517, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cns:cnscwp:201114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.