Access to finance and funding composition during the crisis: A firm-level analysis of Latin American countries
This paper describes the effects of the 2009 global financial crisis on firms' access to financing for investment projects. The analysis uses data from the Latin American and Caribbean Enterprise Surveys 2006 and 2010, demonstrating that during the crisis, the availability of internal sources was crucial for larger and foreign-owned firms or firms that were part of a group, while state-owned firms did not enjoy any financial privileges. Firms sought greater bank and supply-chain financing, larger firms used less internal funds, foreign firms relied more on internal funds, while firms that export and import used bank credits more intensively.
Volume (Year): 50 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 354-4303
Fax: (562) 553-1664
Web page: http://www.economia.puc.cl
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2003.
"Credit Market Imperfections in Middle Income Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
960, CESifo Group Munich.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2003. "Credit Market Imperfections in Middle Income Countries," NBER Working Papers 9737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Ganesh-Kumar & K. Sen & R. Vaidya, 2001. "Outward Orientation, Investment and Finance Constraints: A Study of Indian Firms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 133-149.
- Amiti, Mary & Weinstein, David E., 2009.
"Exports and Financial Shocks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard, A., 1997.
"Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?,"
97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999. "Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," NBER Working Papers 6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorsten Beck, 2004.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3204, The World Bank.
- Stijn Claessens & Neeltje Horen, 2014.
"Foreign Banks: Trends and Impact,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(s1), pages 295-326, 02.
- Stijn Claessens & Neeltje van Horen, 2011. "Foreign Banks: Trends, Impact and Financial Stability," DNB Working Papers 330, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Neeltje van Horen & Stijn Claessens, 2012. "Foreign Banks; Trends, Impact and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 12/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, Jr., 2003.
"A Multinational Perspective on Capital Structure Choice and Internal Capital Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
9715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, 2004. "A Multinational Perspective on Capital Structure Choice and Internal Capital Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2451-2487, December.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2008.
"Financing patterns around the world: Are small firms different?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 467-487, September.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Maksimovic, V., 2008. "Financing patterns around the world : Are small firms different?," Other publications TiSEM 7078f1cc-51a6-4556-b193-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Greenaway, David & Guariglia, Alessandra & Kneller, Richard, 2007. "Financial factors and exporting decisions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 377-395, November.
- Kolasa, Marcin & Rubaszek, Michal & Taglioni, Daria, 2010.
"Firms in the great global recession: The role of foreign ownership and financial dependence,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 341-357, December.
- Marcin Kolasa & Michal Rubaszek & Daria Taglioni, 2010. "Firms in the great global recession: The role of foreign ownership and financial dependence," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 77, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl, 2003. "Small and medium enterprises across the globe : a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3127, The World Bank.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Fabio Schiantarelli & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2000. "Form of Ownership and Financial Constraints:Panel Data Evidence From Flow of Funds and Investment Equations," Empirica, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 175-192, June.
- Harrison, Ann E. & McMillan, Margaret S., 2003. "Does direct foreign investment affect domestic credit constraints?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 73-100, October.
- José Antonio Ocampo, 2009. "Latin America and the global financial crisis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 703-724, July.
- Kaplan, Steven N & Zingales, Luigi, 1997. "Do Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Provide Useful Measures of Financing Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 169-215, February.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Cristiana Tudor, 2010. "The Dynamics of Enterprise Financing in New EU Member. States in Comparative Perspective: the Aftermath of the Crisis," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 13(37), pages 119-142, September.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1992.
"Some Evidence on the Empirical Significance of Credit Rationing,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 1047-77, October.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1990. "Some evidence on the empirical significance of credit rationing," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 105, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Becketti, Sean, et al, 1988. "The Panel Study of Income Dynamics after Fourteen Years: An Evaluatio n," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(4), pages 472-92, October.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities are not Valid Measures of Financing Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
7659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Are Not Valid Measures Of Financing Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 707-712, May.
- Benjamin S. Wilner, 2000. "The Exploitation of Relationships in Financial Distress: The Case of Trade Credit," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 153-178, 02.
- Kalina Manova & Shang-Jin Wei & Zhiwei Zhang, 2011. "Firm Exports and Multinational Activity Under Credit Constraints," NBER Working Papers 16905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ioe:cuadec:v:50:y:2013:i:1:p:1-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.