Financial sector inefficiencies and the debt Laffer curve
This paper analyses the implications of inefficient financial intermediation for debt management in a model where firms rely on bank credit to finance their working capital needs and lenders face state verification and contract enforcement costs. We show that lower expected productivity, higher enforcement and verification costs, or higher volatility of productivity shocks, may shift a country to the wrong side of its debt Laffer curve, with potentially sizable output and welfare losses. We also show that debt relief may bring few welfare benefits unless it is accompanied by reforms aimed at reducing financial sector inefficiencies. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1991.
"The Pure Theory of Country Risk,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 391-435
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1988.
"Financing vs. forgiving a debt overhang,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 253-268, November.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1988.
"The Simple Analytics of Debt-Equity Swaps,"
NBER Working Papers
2771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert M. Townsend, 1979.
"Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification,"
45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor & Joshua Aizenman, 1998.
"Contagion and Volatility with Imperfect Credit Markets,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 207-235, June.
- Joshua Aizenman & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1997. "Contagion and Volatility with Imperfect Credit Markets," IMF Working Papers 97/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Pierre-Richard Agenor & Joshua Aizenman, 1997. "Contagion and Volatility with Imperfect Credit Markets," NBER Working Papers 6080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Nancy P. Marion, 1999.
"Uncertainty and the disappearance of international credit,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Joshua Aizenman & Nancy P. Marion, 1999. "Uncertainty and the Disappearance of International Credit," NBER Working Papers 7389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1999.
"Contagion, bank lending spreads, and output fluctuations,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2186, The World Bank.
- P.R. Agenor & J. Aizenman & A. Hoffmaister, 1998. "Contagion, Bank Lending Spreads and Output Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 6850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:10:y:2005:i:1:p:1-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.