The Financial Market Impact of Quantitative Easing in the United Kingdom
This paper investigates the impact of the Bank of England’s quantitative easing policy on UK asset prices. Based on analysis of the reaction of financial market prices and modelbased estimates, we find that asset purchases financed by the issuance of central bank reserves - which by February 2010 totalled £200 billion - may have depressed medium to longterm government bond yields by about 100 basis points, with the largest part of the impact coming through a portfolio balance effect. The wider impact on other asset prices is more difficult to disentangle from other influences: the initial impact was muted, but the overall effects were potentially much larger, though subject to considerable uncertainty.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shigenori Shiratsuka, 2009.
"Size and Composition of the Central Bank Balance Sheet: Revisiting Japanfs Experience of the Quantitative Easing Policy,"
IMES Discussion Paper Series
09-E-25, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Shigenori Shiratsuka, 2010. "Size and Composition of the Central Bank Balance Sheet: Revisiting Japanfs Experience of the Quantitative Easing Policy," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 28, pages 79-106, November.
- Shigenori Shiratsuka, 2010. "Size and composition of the central bank balance sheet: revisiting Japan's experience of the quantitative easing policy," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 42, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521192828 is not listed on IDEAS
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat, 2010.
"Unconventional Monetary Policies: An Appraisal,"
University of Manchester, vol. 78(s1), pages 53-89, 09.
- Inkinen, Mika & Stringa, Marco & Voutsinou, Kyriaki, 2010. "Interpreting equity price movements since the start of the financial crisis," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(1), pages 24-33.
- Gauti B. Eggertsson & Michael Woodford, 2003. "The Zero Bound on Interest Rates and Optimal Monetary Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(1), pages 139-235.
- Vayanos, Dimitri & Vila, Jean-Luc, 2009.
"A Preferred-Habitat Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7547, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jean-Luc Vila, 2009. "A Preferred-Habitat Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 15487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Luc Vila & Dimitri Vayanos, 2009. "A Preferred-Habitat Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," FMG Discussion Papers dp641, Financial Markets Group.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jean-Luc Vila, 2009. "A preferred-habitat model of the term structure of interest rates," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 29308, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Vincent R. Reinhart & Brian P. Sack, 2004.
"Monetary Policy Alternatives at the Zero Bound: An Empirical Assessment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 35(2), pages 1-100.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Vincent R. Reinhart & Brian P. Sack, 2004. "Monetary policy alternatives at the zero bound: an empirical assessment," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-48, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andrés, Javier & López-Salido, J David & Nelson, Edward, 2004.
"Tobin's Imperfect Asset Substitution in Optimizing General Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Andres & J. David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2004. "Tobin's imperfect asset substitution in optimizing general equilibrium," Working Papers 2004-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- James Clouse & Dale Henderson & Athanasios Orphanides & David Small & Peter Tinsley, 2000.
"Monetary policy when the nominal short-term interest rate is zero,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-51, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Clouse James & Henderson Dale & Orphanides Athanasios & Small David H. & Tinsley P.A., 2003. "Monetary Policy When the Nominal Short-Term Interest Rate is Zero," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-65, September.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Vincent R. Reinhart, 2004. "Conducting Monetary Policy at Very Low Short-Term Interest Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 85-90, May.
- AndrÃ© Meier, 2009. "Panacea, Curse, or Nonevent? Unconventional Monetary Policy in the United Kingdom," IMF Working Papers 09/163, International Monetary Fund.
- Joyce, Michael & Lasaosa, Ana & Stevens , Ibrahim & Tong, Matthew, 2010. "The financial market impact of quantitative easing," Bank of England working papers 393, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijc:ijcjou:y:2011:q:3:a:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.