The Foreign Equity in Banking Industry and the Effectiveness of Corporate Governance: Essential or a Soap Opera?
This study investigates the impact of foreign equity and foreign board members on corporate governance mechanisms in banking industry in a developing country. Using a data set of recent period and OLS regression model, the effect of board size and composition on performance is analyzed. The results indicate that the presence of foreign equity and board members forces banks to reorient the corporate strategy and reduce operating and total costs. Foreign board members’ independence appears to play an important role in the corporate orientation and internal cost management. The study could be an example for banks in countries experiencing similar conditions.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/Accounting-Finance-Journal |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Okten, Cagla & Arin, K. Peren, 2006. "The Effects of Privatization on Efficiency: How Does Privatization Work?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1537-1556, September.
- Ahmed M. Khalid & Muhammad N. Hanif, 2005.
"Corporate Governance for Banks in Pakistan : Recent Developments and Regional Comparisons,"
Governance Working Papers
22269, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Khalid, Ahmed M. & Hanif, Muhammad N., 2005. "Corporate Governance for Banks in Pakistan: Recent Developments and Regional Comparisons," MPRA Paper 9255, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonathan R. Macey & Maureen O'Hara, 2003. "The corporate governance of banks," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 91-107.
- Jayati Sarkar & Subrata Sarkar, 2000. "Large Shareholder Activism in Corporate Governance in Developing Countries: Evidence from India," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 161-194.
- Burcin Yurtoglu, 2003. "Corporate Governance and Implications for Minority Shareholders in Turkey," Working Papers 2003/7, Turkish Economic Association.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- Hakan Orbay & B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2006. "The Impact of Corporate Governance Structures on the Corporate Investment Performance in Turkey," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 349-363, 07.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene M., 2004.
"Why Do Countries Matter So Much for Corporate Governance?,"
Working Paper Series
2004-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Doidge, Craig & Andrew Karolyi, G. & Stulz, Rene M., 2007. "Why do countries matter so much for corporate governance?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-39, October.
- Rene M. Stulz & Craig Doidge & Andrew Karolyi, 2004. "Why Do Countries Matter So Much for Corporate Governance?," NBER Working Papers 10726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Gupta, Atul & Misra, Lalatendu, 2002. "Regulatory learning in failed thrift auctions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 651-669, April.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994.
"The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993. " The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-80, July.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2001. "Corporate Governance in Argentina: the outcome of economic freedom (1991-2000)," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 298-310, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hur:ijaraf:v:2:y:2012:i:4:p:339-352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.