Municipal Solid Waste Management of Toyohashi City: an Analysis by Environmental Kuznets Curve
Agglomeration of economic activities and decline in rural population are expanding city size in Japan. Chubu region is developing as a center for manufacturing and seaport related economic activities and Toyohashi, a mid-sized city in the region, is becoming a successful area for manufacturing and trading. As a result, alike other cities of Japan, the city is growing vertically and substantial daily output of waste by city dwellers is creating difficult situation to endorse proper processing technology and space for landfill. Mid-sized cities are facing difficult situation to combat such waste as the trend of generation, composition, and relevant management remain complicated. This paper provides an overview of municipal solid waste situation in Toyohashi city and estimates effectiveness of central and local level initiatives to manage the dilemma. The results of the study show that from 1980 to 2005, increase in municipal solid wastes generation can be explained by the growth in per capita EL. Evidences from Environmental Kuznets Curve (EKC) analysis reflect the effectiveness of governmental initiatives. The study also finds that technology of waste to power is effective even in a mid-sized city. The shortcoming of the study can be described as the limitation in research sample and data influence on the results coming out from market orientation. Technology mix and variety in direction toward the waste generation, disposal and economic benefit analysis was not taken care of by the study. Classification-JEL: R10, R40, R30
Volume (Year): IV (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreoni, James & Levinson, Arik, 2001.
"The simple analytics of the environmental Kuznets curve,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 269-286, May.
- James Andreoni & Arik Levinson, 1998. "The Simple Analytics of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," NBER Working Papers 6739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beckerman, Wilfred, 1992. "Economic growth and the environment: Whose growth? whose environment?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 481-496, April.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2004. "Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis: A Survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 431-455, August.
- Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S. & Barbier, Edward B., 1996. "Economic growth and environmental degradation: The environmental Kuznets curve and sustainable development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1151-1160, July.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2007. "Is waste generation de-linking from economic growth? Empirical evidence for Europe," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 287-291.
- AfDB AfDB, . "African Statistical Yearbook 2011," African Statistical Yearbook, African Development Bank, number 300.
- David I. Stern & Tony Auld & Michael S. Common & Kali K. Sanyal, 1998.
"Is there an environmental Kuznets curve for sulfur?,"
Working Papers in Ecological Economics
9804, Australian National University, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Ecological Economics Program.
- Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S., 2001. "Is There an Environmental Kuznets Curve for Sulfur?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 162-178, March.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- Yaguchi, Yue & Sonobe, Tetsushi & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2007. "Beyond the Environmental Kuznets Curve: a comparative study of SO2 and CO2 emissions between Japan and China," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 445-470, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrs:journl:v:iv:y:2012:i:2:p:97-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dimitrios K. Kouzas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.