Geographical Differences in Italian Students' Mathematical Competencies: Evidence from Pisa 2003
In this paper we investigate the existence and the size of geographical differences in Italian students’ mathematical competencies. We analyze a novel data set that combines the 2003 wave of the OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) with information about local economic conditions and school-level administrative data. We find there is significant positive correlation, across provinces, between mathematical literacy and school buildings maintenance and local employment probabilities. About 75% of the North-South differential in mathematical literacy is accounted for by resource differences, while geographical differences in school production functions account for the remaining fraction.
Volume (Year): 66 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giorgio Brunello & Daniele Checchi, 2004.
"School Vouchers Italian Style,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 357-399, December.
- Giorgio BRUNELLO & Daniele CHECCHI, 2005. "School vouchers Italian style," Departmental Working Papers 2005-06, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Checchi, Daniele, 2005. "School Vouchers Italian Style," IZA Discussion Papers 1475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Petra E. Todd & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 2003. "On The Specification and Estimation of The Production Function for Cognitive Achievement," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F3-F33, February.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2001. "Educational Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(3), pages 777-803.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gde:journl:gde_v66_n3_p299-333. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erika Somma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.