Birth, growth, and life or death of newly chartered banks
Thousands of new commercial banks have been chartered in the U.S. over the past two decades. This article documents how the financial characteristics of new banks evolve over time, develops a simple theory of why and when new banks fail, and tests the theory using a variety of methods.
Volume (Year): (1999)
Issue (Month): Q III ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.chicagofed.org/webpages/publications/print_publication_order_form.cfm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brewer, Elijah III, 1989. "Relationship between bank holding company risk and nonbank activity," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 337-353, November.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1995.
"Explaining Bank Failures: Deposit Insurance, Regulation, and Efficiency,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 689-700, November.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1993. "Explaining bank failures: deposit insurance, regulation, and efficiency," Working Papers 1993-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- DeYoung, Robert & Hasan, Iftekhar, 1998. "The performance of de novo commercial banks: A profit efficiency approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 565-587, May.
- Rebel A. Cole & Jeffery W. Gunther, 1993.
"Separating the likelihood and timing of bank failure,"
Financial Industry Studies Working Paper
93-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Cole, Rebel A. & Gunther, Jeffery W., 1995. "Separating the likelihood and timing of bank failure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 1073-1089, September.
- Rebel A. Cole & Jeffery W. Gunther, 1993. "Separating the likelihood and timing of bank failure," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- DeYoung, Robert & Goldberg, Lawrence G. & White, Lawrence J., 1999.
"Youth, adolescence, and maturity of banks: Credit availability to small business in an era of banking consolidation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 463-492, February.
- Robert DeYoung & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 1997. "Youth, Adolescence, and Maturity of Banks: Credit Availability to Small Business in an Era of Banking Consolidation," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-025, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gary Whalen, 1991. "A proportional hazards model of bank failure: an examination of its usefulness as an early warning tool," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q I, pages 21-31.
- Allen N. Berger & Seth D. Bonime & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 1999. "The dynamics of market entry: the effects of mergers and acquisitions on de novo entry in banking," Proceedings 612, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- William C. Hunter & Aruna Srinivasan, 1990. "Determinants of de novo bank performance," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Mar, pages 14-25.
- Patricia Brislin & Anthony M. Santomero, 1991. "De novo banking in the third district," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Jan, pages 3-12.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedhep:y:1999:i:qiii:p:18-35:n:v.23no.3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.