Energy prices and state economic performance
Changes in energy prices have had sizable but differing effects on economic activity across the United States. The composition of each state's economy largely determines how its employment responds to changes in energy prices. In this article, Stephen Brown and Mine Yucel use simulations based on input-output analysis to assess the long-term consequences of changing oil prices on employment in each state in 1982, 1992, and 2000. Brown and Yucel find that because state economies are becoming more similar in their composition, the variation across states in the response to changing oil prices is narrowing. The authors' findings suggest that the grounds for regional divisions in the debate over national energy policy have lessened since the early 1980s and will continue to do so throughout the remainder of the 1990s.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): Q II ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dallasfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen P.A. Brown & Mine Yücel, 2000. "Oil prices and the economy," Southwest Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Jul, pages 1-6.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- S.P.A. Brown & John K. Hill, 1987.
"Lower oil prices and state employment,"
8706, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedder:y:1995:i:qii:p:13-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Delia Rodriguez)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Delia Rodriguez to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.