Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance under Adverse Selection
Fair pricing of deposit insurance represents one of the most difficult problems of bank regulation. This paper introduces an incentive compatible mechanism such that fair (risk-based) deposit insurance premiums can be achieved under adverse selection. The deposit insurer screens banks by offering full insurance coverage for high-risk banks and partial coverage for low-risk banks. If deposit interest rates can be regulated, low-risk banks also obtain full coverage. The optimal solution may require dividing deposits into junior and senior deposits. More generally, our analysis connects deposit insurance with standard insurance theory.
Volume (Year): 16 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crocker, Keith J. & Snow, Arthur, 1985. "The efficiency of competitive equilibria in insurance markets with asymmetric information," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 207-219, March.
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N., 1991.
"Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation : Extention to and Evidence From Insurance Markets,"
Cahiers de recherche
9134, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, Georges & Doherty, Neil A, 1994. "Adverse Selection, Commitment, and Renegotiation: Extension to and Evidence from Insurance Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 209-35, April.
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N.A., 1993. "Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation: Extension to and Evidence from Insurance Markets," Papers 9301, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N., 1991. "Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation : Extention to and Evidence From Insurance Markets," Cahiers de recherche 9134, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995.
"Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000. "Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Wheelock, David C & Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1995. "Which Banks Choose Deposit Insurance? Evidence of Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard in a Voluntary Insurance System," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 186-201, February.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1990. "Is Deposit Insurance Necessary? A Historical Perspective," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(02), pages 283-295, June.
- Niinimaki, J. -P., 2001. "Intertemporal diversification in financial intermediation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 965-991, May.
- Gabriella Chiesa, .
"Incentive-based Lending Capacity, Competition and Regulation in Banking,"
92, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Chiesa, Gabriella, 2001. "Incentive-Based Lending Capacity, Competition and Regulation in Banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 28-53, January.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1998. "Using Market Information in Prudential Bank Supervision: A Review of the U.S. Empirical Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 273-305, August.
- Jeffery Gunther & Linda Hooks & Kenneth Robinson, 2000.
"Adverse Selection and Competing Deposit Insurance Systems in Pre-Depression Texas,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 237-258, September.
- Jeffery W. Gunther & Linda M. Hooks & Kenneth J. Robinson, 1997. "Adverse selection and competing deposit insurance systems in pre-depression Texas," Financial Industry Studies Working Paper 97-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Cooper, Russell & Hayes, Beth, 1987. "Multi-period insurance contracts," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 211-231.
- Yuk-Shee Chan & Stuart I. Greenbaum & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004.
"Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
- Freixas, Xavier & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1998.
"Fair pricing of deposit insurance. Is it possible? Yes. Is it desirable? No,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 217-232, September.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean Charles Rochet, 1995. "Fair pricing of deposit insurance. Is it possible? Yes. Is it desirable? No," Economics Working Papers 130, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1995.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V, 1993. "Self-Interested Bank Regulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 206-12, May.
- Kose John & Anthony Saunders & Lemma W. Senbet, 1998.
"A Theory of Bank Regulation and Management Compensation,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-043, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony & Senbet, Lemma W, 2000. "A Theory of Bank Regulation and Management Compensation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 95-125.
- Kose John & Anthony Saunders & Lemma W. Senbet, 1996. "A Theory of Bank Regulation and Management Compensation," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-30, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2002:i:1:p:1-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nagarajan, S. & Sealey, C. W., 1998. "State-contingent regulatory mechanisms and fairly priced deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1139-1156, September.
- Hyytinen, A. & Takalo, T., 2000.
"Enhancing Bank Transparency: a Re-assessment,"
University of Helsinki, Department of Economics
492, Department of Economics.
- G. Chiesa, 2001. "Competition and Regulation in Banking," Working Papers 397, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Philippe Aghion & Patrick Bolton, 1992. "An Incomplete Contracts Approach to Financial Contracting," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 473-494.
- Jordan, John S. & Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S., 2000. "The Market Reaction to the Disclosure of Supervisory Actions: Implications for Bank Transparency," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 298-319, July.
- Sironi, Andrea, 2003.
" Testing for Market Discipline in the European Banking Industry: Evidence from Subordinated Debt Issues,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 443-72, June.
- Andrea Sironi, 2000. "Testing for market discipline in the European banking industry: evidence from subordinated debt issues," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John S. Jordan, 2000. "Depositor discipline at failing banks," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 15-28.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1977. "Monopoly, Non-linear Pricing and Imperfect Information: The Insurance Market," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(3), pages 407-430.
- G. G. Garcia, 1999. "Deposit Insurance: A Survey of Actual and Best Practices," IMF Working Papers 99/54, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:16:y:2003:i:1:p:38-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.