Impacts of agricultural public spending on Chinese food economy: A general equilibrium approach
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to develop a dynamic computable general equilibrium (DCGE) model to analyze economy-wide impacts of different types of public spending in China. A particular focus is placed on their impacts on food economy. Design/methodology/approach – In this paper, DCGE model is developed to analyze economy-wide impacts of different types of public spending in China. The effects of increased agricultural subsidies, agricultural R&D, and irrigation are simulated by using China DCGE model. Findings – The results show that public spending has significant impact on food production, price, and trade. The increased public spending on agricultural R&D, irrigation, and agricultural subsidy also has modest impacts on other sectors such as industry, service, and GDP growth. Originality/value – The paper constructs the China dynamic CGE model and analyzes economy-wide impacts of different types of public spending in China, especially for the food economy.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/caer.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Conrad & Stefan Heng, 2002.
"Financing road infrastructure by savings in congestion costs: A CGE analysis,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 36(1), pages 107-122.
- Conrad, Klaus & Heng, Stefan, 2000. "Financing Road Infrastructure by Savings in Congestion Costs : A CGE Analysis," Discussion Papers 579, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Breisinger, Clemens & Diao, Xinshen & Thurlow, James, 2009. "Modeling growth options and structural change to reach middle income country status: The case of Ghana," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 514-525, March.
- Diao, Xinshen & Hazell, P.B.R. & Resnick, Danielle & Thurlow, James, 2007.
"The role of agriculture in development: Implications for Sub-Saharan Africa,"
153, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diao, Xinshen & Hazell, Peter & Resnick, Danielle & Thurlow, James, 2006. "The role of agriculture in development: implications for Sub-Saharan Africa," DSGD discussion papers 29, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mark Horridge & Glyn Wittwer, 2007. "The economic impacts of a construction project, using SinoTERM, a multi-regional CGE model of China," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-164, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Horridge, Mark & Wittwer, Glyn, 2008. "SinoTERM, a multi-regional CGE model of China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 628-634, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:caerpp:v:3:y:2011:i:4:p:518-534. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.