Heat waves or Meteor showers: Empirical evidence from the stock markets
In order to study the volatility spillovers / the transfer of volatilities from spot and futures markets for the period 1st January 2001 to 30th November 2005 with high frequency data i.e., one minute intervals, we have used GARCH models to compute volatilities and VAR models for the returns of different markets and for the volatilities. It is evident that, these VAR models for the volatilities can exhibit the nature of the change in volatility. In a heat wave, the conditional variance of the returns in spot (futures) market depends only upon the past shocks in the given market. For meteor showers, the impact of shocks on spot (futures) markets are transferred from other i.e., futures (spot) markets. With the VAR (1)-GARCH (1,1) analysis, we found that both series are I(1) and that a bi-directional relationship exists between the spot and future market return series. Empirically it is evident that both heat waves and meteor showers exist in Indian spot and futures markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 53 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi & Lin, Wen-Ling, 1990.
"Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 525-42, May.
- Robert F. Engle & Takatoshi Ito & Wen-Ling Lin, 1988. "Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-Daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," NBER Working Papers 2609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2004.
"Efficiency of European Funds in the Accession Countries: The Case of Transport Infrastructure Investments in Latvia,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2004_01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- D'Artis Kancs, 2005. "Efficiency of European Funds in the Accession Countries: The Case of Transport Infrastructure Investments in Latvia," Transportation Planning and Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 293-313, July.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2007. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Renewable Energy Policies," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2007_02, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2001.
"Predicting European Enlargement Impacts: A Framework of Inter-regional General Equilibrium,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2001_01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Artis Kancs, 2001. "Predicting European Enlargement Impacts: A Framework of Interregional General Equilibrium," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(5), pages 31-63, September.
- Artis Kancs, 2001. "Regional development policies modelling: a framework of general equilibrium," ERSA conference papers ersa01p189, European Regional Science Association.
- Takatoshi Ito & Robert F. Engle & Wen-Ling Lin, 1992.
"Where Does the Meteor Shower Come From? The Role of Stochastic Policy Coordination,"
NBER Working Papers
3504, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Engle, Robert F. & Lin, Wen-Ling, 1992. "Where does the meteor shower come from? : The role of stochastic policy coordination," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3-4), pages 221-240, May.
- Julda Kielyte, 2008. "Estimating Panel Data Models in the Presence of Endogeneity and Selection," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 1-19.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev, 1998. "Deutsche Mark-Dollar Volatility: Intraday Activity Patterns, Macroeconomic Announcements, and Longer Run Dependencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 219-265, 02.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2001. "Integrated Appraisal of Renewable Energy Strategies: A CGE Analysis," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2001_07, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- G. Geoffrey Booth & Mustafa Chowdhury & Teppo Martikainen & Yiuman Tse, 1997. "Intraday Volatility in International Stock Index Futures Markets: Meteor Showers or Heat Waves?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(11), pages 1564-1576, November.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2004. "Evaluation of Renewable Energy Policies," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2004_03, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2006. "The economic geography of labour migration: Competition, competitiveness and development," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2006_01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Booth, G. Geoffrey & Martikainen, Teppo & Tse, Yiuman, 1997. "Price and volatility spillovers in Scandinavian stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 811-823, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:journl:v:53:y:2010:i:2:p:57-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.