Leading global teams
Global teams that are characterized by national, cultural and linguistic heterogeneity and operate in a globally dispersed virtual environment are becoming an established form of organizing work in multinational organizations. As global team leadership research is rather limited, we review the literature on leading multicultural and virtual teams in a global context, focusing on leadership competencies, styles, strategies and modes. We also examine the emergent concepts of biculturalism, global mindset and cultural intelligence with respect to team leaders. Our aim is to add to our knowledge of leading global teams, highlight recent trends and suggest directions for future research. Three themes for global team leadership emerged: leaders as boundary spanners, bridge makers and blenders; people-oriented leadership; and leveraging diversity. We discuss implications for research and practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alon, Ilan & Higgins, James M., 2005. "Global leadership success through emotional and cultural intelligences," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 501-512.
- Günter K Stahl & Martha L Maznevski & Andreas Voigt & Karsten Jonsen, 2010. "Unraveling the effects of cultural diversity in teams: A meta-analysis of research on multicultural work groups," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 41(4), pages 690-709, May.
- Zander, Lena & Butler, Christina L., 2010. "Leadership modes: Success strategies for multicultural teams," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 258-267, September.
- Ang, Soon & Van Dyne, Linn & Koh, Christine & Ng, K. Yee & Templer, Klaus J. & Tay, Cheryl & Chandrasekar, N. Anand, 2007. "Cultural Intelligence: Its Measurement and Effects on Cultural Judgment and Decision Making, Cultural Adaptation and Task Performance," Management and Organization Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 335-371, November.
- Stahl, Günter K. & Mäkelä, Kristiina & Zander, Lena & Maznevski, Martha L., 2010. "A look at the bright side of multicultural team diversity," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 439-447, December.
- Soon Ang & Linn Van Dyne & Christine Koh & K. Yee Ng & Klaus J. Templer & Cheryl Tay & N. Anand Chandrasekar, 2007. "Cultural Intelligence: Its Measurement and Effects on Cultural Judgment and Decision Making, Cultural Adaptation and Task Performance," Management and Organization Review, The International Association for Chinese Management Research, vol. 3(3), pages 335-371, November.
- Schweiger, David M. & Atamer, Tugrul & Calori, Roland, 2003. "Transnational project teams and networks: making the multinational organization more effective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 127-140, May.
- Scott, Kristyn A. & Brown, Douglas J., 2006. "Female first, leader second? Gender bias in the encoding of leadership behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 230-242, November.
- Butler, Christina L. & Zander, Lena & Mockaitis, Audra & Sutton, Ciara, 2012. "The Global Leader as Boundary Spanner, Bridge Maker, and Blender," Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 240-243, June.
- Chevrier, Sylvie, 2003. "Cross-cultural management in multinational project groups," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 141-149, May.
- Muethel, Miriam & Hoegl, Martin, 2010. "Cultural and societal influences on shared leadership in globally dispersed teams," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 234-246, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:47:y:2012:i:4:p:592-603. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.