A multi-level model of global decision-making: Developing a composite global frame-of-reference
As organizations globalize their operations, managers are finding that making decisions in a global context is more complex. This research develops a multi-level model that examines the influence of group, organizational and society points of reference on managerial decision-making. Reference Point Theory (RPT) is employed as a foundation for a multi-level global decision-making process. The basic premise of RPT is that global managers need to match global environmental conditions with certain reference points. Yet the more dynamic the environment, the greater the risk associated with misinterpreting the appropriate reference points for making global decisions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, 1985. "Control: Organizational and Economic Approaches," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(2), pages 134-149, February.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-264.
- Laszlo Tihanyi & David A Griffith & Craig J Russell, 2005. "The effect of cultural distance on entry mode choice, international diversification, and MNE performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 36(3), pages 270-283, May.
- Michèle Cohen & Johanna Etner & Meglena Jeleva, 2008.
"Dynamic Decision Making when Risk Perception Depends on Past Experience,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 173-192, March.
- Michèle Cohen & Johanna Etner & Meglena Jeleva, 2008. "Dynamic Decision Making when Risk Perception Depends on Past Experience," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00211942, HAL.
- Griffith, David A. & Ryans, John K., 1997. "Organizing global communications to minimize private spill-over damage to brand equity," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 189-202, October.
- Astrid Hopfensitz & Frans van Winden, 2006.
"Dynamic Choice, Independence and Emotions,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-087/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1993. "Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 453-86, April.
- John M Hannon & Ing-Chung Huang & Bihi-Shiaw Jaw, 1995. "International Human Resource Strategy and Its Determinants: The Case of Subsidiaries in Taiwan," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 26(3), pages 531-554, September.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00211942 is not listed on IDEAS
- John D. Sterman, 1989. "Modeling Managerial Behavior: Misperceptions of Feedback in a Dynamic Decision Making Experiment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 321-339, March.
- B R Baliga & Alfred M Jaeger, 1984. "Multinational Corporations: Control Systems and Delegation Issues," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 15(2), pages 25-40, June.
- Goncalo, Jack A. & Staw, Barry M., 2006. "Individualism-collectivism and group creativity," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 96-109, May.
- Phillip D White, 1979. "Attitudes of U.S. Purchasing Managers Toward Industrial Products Manufactured in Selected Western European Nations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 10(1), pages 81-90, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Griffith, David A. & Harvey, Michael G., 2004. "The influence of individual and firm level social capital of marketing managers in a firm's global network," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 244-254, August.
- Ayres, Robert U & Kneese, Allen V, 1969. "Production , Consumption, and Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 282-97, June.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Silva, Graça & Styles, Chris & Pereira, Zulema Lopes, 2009. "The NEP Scale: A measure of network export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 344-356, August.
- Henderson, Vernon, 1997.
"Externalities and Industrial Development,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 449-470, November.
- W. W. Rostow, 1959. "The Stages Of Economic Growth," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 12(1), pages 1-16, 08.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1986. "Rational Choice and the Framing of Decisions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S251-78, October.
- William G. Ouchi, 1979. "A Conceptual Framework for the Design of Organizational Control Mechanisms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(9), pages 833-848, September.
- Paulus, Paul B. & Yang, Huei-Chuan, 2000. "Idea Generation in Groups: A Basis for Creativity in Organizations," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 76-87, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:46:y:2011:i:2:p:177-184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.