A multi-level model of global decision-making: Developing a composite global frame-of-reference
As organizations globalize their operations, managers are finding that making decisions in a global context is more complex. This research develops a multi-level model that examines the influence of group, organizational and society points of reference on managerial decision-making. Reference Point Theory (RPT) is employed as a foundation for a multi-level global decision-making process. The basic premise of RPT is that global managers need to match global environmental conditions with certain reference points. Yet the more dynamic the environment, the greater the risk associated with misinterpreting the appropriate reference points for making global decisions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John D. Sterman, 1989. "Modeling Managerial Behavior: Misperceptions of Feedback in a Dynamic Decision Making Experiment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 321-339, March.
- Michèle Cohen & Johanna Etner & Meglena Jeleva, 2008.
"Dynamic Decision Making when Risk Perception Depends on Past Experience,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 173-192, March.
- Michèle Cohen & Johanna Etner & Meglena Jeleva, 2008. "Dynamic Decision Making when Risk Perception Depends on Past Experience," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00211942, HAL.
- Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, 1985. "Control: Organizational and Economic Approaches," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(2), pages 134-149, February.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Silva, Graça & Styles, Chris & Pereira, Zulema Lopes, 2009. "The NEP Scale: A measure of network export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 344-356, August.
- William G. Ouchi, 1979. "A Conceptual Framework for the Design of Organizational Control Mechanisms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(9), pages 833-848, September.
- Laszlo Tihanyi & David A Griffith & Craig J Russell, 2005. "The effect of cultural distance on entry mode choice, international diversification, and MNE performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 270-283, May.
- Astrid Hopfensitz & Frans Winden, 2008.
"Dynamic Choice, Independence and Emotions,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 249-300, March.
- Hopfensitz, Astrid & van Winden, Frans A.A.M., 2007. "Dynamic Choice, Independence, and Emotions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6038, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Astrid Hopfensitz & Frans van Winden, 2007. "Dynamic Choice, Independence and Emotions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1949, CESifo Group Munich.
- Astrid Hopfensitz & Frans van Winden, 2006. "Dynamic Choice, Independence and Emotions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-087/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1986. "Rational Choice and the Framing of Decisions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S251-78, October.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1993. "Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 453-86, April.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-264.
- Ayres, Robert U & Kneese, Allen V, 1969. "Production , Consumption, and Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 282-97, June.
- Phillip D White, 1979. "Attitudes of U.S. Purchasing Managers Toward Industrial Products Manufactured in Selected Western European Nations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(1), pages 81-90, March.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00211942 is not listed on IDEAS
- Griffith, David A. & Ryans, John K., 1997. "Organizing global communications to minimize private spill-over damage to brand equity," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 189-202, October.
- Henderson, Vernon, 1997.
"Externalities and Industrial Development,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 449-470, November.
- Goncalo, Jack A. & Staw, Barry M., 2006. "Individualism-collectivism and group creativity," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 96-109, May.
- John M Hannon & Ing-Chung Huang & Bihi-Shiaw Jaw, 1995. "International Human Resource Strategy and Its Determinants: The Case of Subsidiaries in Taiwan," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 531-554, September.
- B R Baliga & Alfred M Jaeger, 1984. "Multinational Corporations: Control Systems and Delegation Issues," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(2), pages 25-40, June.
- Griffith, David A. & Harvey, Michael G., 2004. "The influence of individual and firm level social capital of marketing managers in a firm's global network," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 244-254, August.
- W. W. Rostow, 1959. "The Stages Of Economic Growth," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 12(1), pages 1-16, 08.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Paulus, Paul B. & Yang, Huei-Chuan, 2000. "Idea Generation in Groups: A Basis for Creativity in Organizations," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 76-87, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:46:y:2011:i:2:p:177-184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.