A multiple constituency approach to IJV performance measurement
This paper analyses the differences in the way partner firms assess the performance of international joint ventures (IJV). It is argued that an understanding of these differences is important for the practice of, and for research into IJV management. From a managerial point of view, firms, as well as IJV management, need to know how the partners evaluate the venture's performance. From a research perspective such differences can distort the results of studies that compare the performance of IJVs with other organizational designs or aim to identify the determinants of IJV performance. A multiple constituency approach is employed to develop hypotheses and test them using empirical data gathered through a questionnaire survey among 110 managers of German-Chinese joint ventures (GCJV) in the People's Republic of China. This is supplemented by qualitative data gathered through in-depth interviews with 25 managers. The findings highlight a number of differences regarding the way in which partner firms assess the performance of IJVs that are relevant for practice and research.
Volume (Year): 41 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chol Lee & Paul W Beamish, 1995. "The Characteristics and Performance of Korean Joint Ventures in LDCS," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 637-654, September.
- Inkpen, Andrew C. & Birkenshaw, Julian, 1994. "International joint ventures and performance: an interorganizational perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 201-217, September.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin, 1989. "Ownership structures of foreign subsidiaries : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-25, January.
- John Child & Yanni Yan, 2003. "Predicting the Performance of International Joint Ventures: An Investigation in China," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 283-320, 03.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Africa Ariño, 2003. "Measures of strategic alliance performance: an analysis of construct validity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 66-79, January.
- Donald J Lecraw, 1984. "Bargaining Power, Ownership, and Profitability of Transnational Corporations in Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Patrick F R Artisien & Peter J Buckley, 1985. "Joint Ventures in Yugoslavia: Opportunities and Constraints," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 111-135, March.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1991. "Measuring Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 249-263, June.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Yigang Pan & Shaomin Li & David K Tse, 1999. "The Impact of Order and Mode of Market Entry on Profitability and Market Share," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 81-103, March.
- Millington, A. I. & Bayliss, B. T., 1997. "Instability of market penetration joint ventures: A study of UK joint ventures in the European Union," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-17, February.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/3638 is not listed on IDEAS
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1989. "Control and Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(2), pages 235-254, June.
- Vijay Pothukuchi & Fariborz Damanpour & Jaepil Choi & Chao C Chen & Seung Ho Park, 2002. "National and Organizational Culture Differences and International Joint Venture Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 243-265, June.
- Hu, Michael Y. & Chen, Haiyang, 1996. "An empirical analysis of factors explaining foreign joint venture performance in China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 165-173, February.
- M. Angel Lopez-Navarro, F. Xavier Molina-Morales, 2002. "On measurement of joint ventures performance: a comparative approach," International Journal of Business Performance Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1), pages 115-127.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:41:y:2006:i:3:p:247-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.